Crownline 230 ccr or Maxum 2300

Jat101

Cadet
Hey All,
after searching for over a year I think I have found A/THE boat me and my wife agree on.......and we plan to check both these out within the next week at a dealership that has both at reasonable prices (19-22K)

Either the:
Crownline 230 CCR (1999-2002)

Or the Maxum 2300 cuddy cabin (same years)

They are both pretty similiar and meet both our criteria :
She wants the private head with the privacy cutain and the mini galley and room for sunlounging
and I want something that we can put the camper enclosure on so we can enjoy in early spring or late fall, we live in CT so the summer is short (3 months) and also I can trailer rather than slip (so I don't want to go bigger or heavier)

I wanted to know what the boating community thought of these two boats and advice on which is better, flaws, etc...
I know they don't manufacture the Maxum anymore so I was already leaning towards the Crownline.

Also, I have never had a boat with the ability to have the camper tops or bimini tops.....
how fast can you drive a boat with the camper enclosure, or can you at all??

thanks everybody, I am very excited to purchase this year and hopefully one of these boats is the one for me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crownline 230 ccr or Maxum 2300

All other things being equal, I'd certainly go for the Crownline!

Philster

Captain

Crownline: Every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Crownline but I am Biased, remember that even though Crownline is still around it doesn't mean a whole lot though, you will not be able to get any parts from them for your boat as almost all manufacturers stop making parts for boats after about five years, plus its not the same Crownline anymore either its a completely new Company building the same quality boats as the former company. I can tell you that if the boat your looking at has been cared for properly you will not be disappointed, My 2000 248 BR is the love of my life and the quality of the boat is top notch.

The drivetrain of your boat is still supported and that's all that really matters anyway

Jat101

Cadet

All other things being equal, I'd certainly go for the Crownline!

Thanks for the input! Crownline is looking like the one!
Any clue how fast you can drive with the camper enclosure up?

Jat101

Cadet

Thanks for your input, I am glad to know you owned a Crownline and liked it/like it. How fast can you drive (or not ) with the camper enclosure up for in the cooler months?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I don't drive with my camper enclosure up, but I can do 55 MPH at lake Powell easily, I would imagine with the camper enclosure up I would not go faster then 40 or so just because I would not want to strain the canvas to bad, but I don't think it would keep my boat below 50, you have to remember the camper enclosure is a big sail so going full speed would probably wear the enclosure badly over time.

The Bimini is a different story, I can go full speed no sweat

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Love / hate relationship with my camper top. It ruins the lines of most boats but it's very handy if it rains. I am not typically going fast at all with it up

Jat101

Cadet

thanks that info helps a lot....
so Bimini is all good full speed....
camper slow, slipped or anchored only.
Thanks!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Full blast with a Bimini up is a bad idea also! Over 25 is a bunch of strain on the hardware and canvas. Definitely the Crown, the Maxum is a Bayliner with lipstick.

Philster

Captain

Your bimini must be rated for high speed to get more than 30-35 out of it without rapidly killing it.

Have the bimini ready to deploy. When you are puttering, anchored or drifting you just deploy it.

In airdvr1227's sig pic above, the bimini is rolled up for running and ready to deploy.

Jat101

Cadet

so 20-30 mph prob ok with the bimini but obviously pay attention if strain...take it down for higher cruising.
I was watching some youtube videos of a guy driving his crown at about 35 with the bimini up and it looked like the hardware bars were vibrating a little.

So that now makes all for the Crown none for the Maxum.....easy decision on my end then.
Thanks!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah to be honest I hate having the Bimini up anyway it handles full speed but if I am going to haul butt I take it down, should have said that earlier but I got all wound up thinking of going 50 mph with the camper up LOL. Like I said I have done it but try not to, its just not good for it and it looks much cooler doing a speed run without the bimini up...

As to the video you saw that's pretty typical, they are not built for high speed and god forbid you have a headwind.