Severe Motor Corrosion

Rickk B

Recruit
Yesterday my neighbor call me over to look at his motor on a pontoon boat. I've attached a picture of his motor .... I've never seen corrosion that bad in my life. The motor is a 3 year old Torqueedo electric motor ..... any thoughts on how that could happen in 3 years ? It has never been out of the water in those 3 years and it is a fresh water lake in Phoenix Az. I would have thought the Torqueedo had a annode installed from the factory. Thanks Rick

Attachments

• Daves Torqueedo.JPG
    Daves Torqueedo.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 0

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Severe Motor Corrosion

Looks like his fresh water lake has a lot of disolved salts & minerals in it. A not uncommon thing west of the divde.
Regards, old jim

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Yesterday my neighbor call me over to look at his motor on a pontoon boat. I've attached a picture of his motor .... I've never seen corrosion that bad in my life. The motor is a 3 year old Torqueedo electric motor ..... any thoughts on how that could happen in 3 years ? It has never been out of the water in those 3 years and it is a fresh water lake in Phoenix Az. I would have thought the Torqueedo had a annode installed from the factory. Thanks Rick

Does your neighbor park his boat near other boats on shore power, or does he use shore power him self? Any funny electrical work done to his boat?

Lawnmedic

Seaman

He needs to find out where the stray current is around his boat. I would not let anybody get into the water near his boat. Stray current in the water can cause muscle spasms which can cause drowning.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

That thing looks like part of an artificial reef.

tudunka

Cadet

He also needs to look at his toons for pitting and corrosion. If this happened to this motor, it could be happening to the toons as well.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would say something si wired wrong, the only way you can ge that much sorrosion is that short of a time is with current going through the motor, is the boat grounded like a car possibly, I saw a toon that the guy wires in some stuff and ran a frame ground and it really tore up the tubes, boats need to have a closed electrical system not open ground like a car.

Congreve502

Cadet

That thing looks like part of an artificial reef.