Zodiac Mk2 repair help/advice nedded

kauri

Recruit
I have recently come into possession of a 1994 zodiac Mark 2 futura and plan to restore it. Ultimately there is a lot of work to be done to repair the boat the main problem is the glue weakening and separating from the bow and transom section connecting to the pontoons, the stingers along the bottom i believe that is what there called are also beginning to lift from the boat. I plan to spend the next 4 months restoring the boat living in Brisbane Australia i have to wait a month or two until the temperature cools down and the humidity drops of a bit, but right now the plan is to clean the boat up with inflatable boat cleaner and remove all the dirt and stains that have built up. Secondly i plan to, using some good quality PVC fabric glue (any recommendations) each section section back on as per usual but after doing that i would add another strip of PVC fabric hypalon seem tap or something similar over the top off all the seems so as to double glue them down and prevent future failure. the third and final thing i would like to do is apply so sort of inflatable boat paint like tuff-coat or something similar just to bring it up nice and new looking. The boat has spent its life indoors other then use so the material itself is in good condition other then dirt and so fourth the only real problem is the glue which is original from new some 17 years ago so it inst surprising that it has weakened over time. the fact the boat and all it pontoons and airtight compartments are fine is why so keen to put the hours and money into repairing it.

Other then telling you my plans i have come here to seek some advice from anyone else who has knowledge on the topic particularly on my plans and on any info or advice from your own experiences.

P1080304.jpgP1080309.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Zodiac Mk2 repair help/advice nedded

Welcome to the forums,

Lot's of hours and hard work to restore to mint condition the beast, don't mix PVC with Hypalon, it's one or the other. Determine if that model is PVC or Hypalon so to buy proper 2 part PVC or Hypalon glue. Will need to clean very carfully with proper solvent parts that need to be glued back together, room temperature and moisture is a must consider. If you don't have any repair experience at all, check a reputed inflatable repair shop in your area and let the experts do the job well, but could be pricey...

Happy Boating

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a PVC boat and the glue can be found here. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1903

Plan to spend about 30 hours minimum, with up to 50 hours rebuilding the boat. The boat is worth less than paying the labor to fix it. Fix it yourself or give it to someone who will fix it up for themselves. The glue has failed to the point that it will require a complete dis-assembly of the boat removing the entire floor and transom, with a thorough cleaning, before re-gluing everything. You will go thru about a gallon of Acetone, a quart MEK, and a couple quart containers of glue. The temperature needs to be about 70 degrees and not humid when you glue everything back together. I used scuffy pad for cleaning along with lots of rags, and a nice pair of chemical gloves.

Been there done that...hope you got a good deal like I did.

kauri

Recruit

Thanks for the reply's searider & Peter_C

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, the boat hull is thermo bonded and will not fail at the seams, so once the glue part is repaired the boat should be good to go. It IS worth fixing, just not worth paying someone to do so.

You can find videos from "How its made" on Youtube that show makes an inflatable boat. There are other too. Also Ribnet in the inflatable section has some info but not a lot. You are kinda on your own.

One of the most important things is cleanliness. All the old glue must be removed and everything cleaned. In some places I used masking tape to show the layout and keep the glue in bounds. The boundary lines by this point should be shown by the fading. You work with the boat inflated at all times. Sand the transom well to removed the glue and give the new glue something to bond with. When gluing start at the transom and work your way back forward.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If the fabric, seams are in excellent condition, will not lose anything having an estimated total repair cost done by a tecnician or repair shop who knows his work, one thing is reading plain theory, other working on the practice...

Happy Boating

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can find videos from "How its made" on Youtube that show makes an inflatable boat.

Great resource Peter C. All I can say is that a lot of coordination is needed during the seam welding phase! If I worked there I would be fired on the spot for misaligning a seam. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpaUpi_6-A

Also, another video showing a wicked Massachusetts-made RIB!!! They're down tha' cowner from me (MA accent). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0GLV3QZgM&feature=related

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

BTW, the boat hull is thermo bonded and will not fail at the seams, so once the glue part is repaired the boat should be good to go. It IS worth fixing, just not worth paying someone to do so.

You can find videos from "How its made" on Youtube that show makes an inflatable boat. There are other too. Also Ribnet in the inflatable section has some info but not a lot. You are kinda on your own.

One of the most important things is cleanliness. All the old glue must be removed and everything cleaned. In some places I used masking tape to show the layout and keep the glue in bounds. The boundary lines by this point should be shown by the fading. You work with the boat inflated at all times. Sand the transom well to removed the glue and give the new glue something to bond with. When gluing start at the transom and work your way back forward.

I'm pretty sure that boat predates welding by a few years...That would make the boat unreliable. But, I could be wrong...I'll check Monday.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm pretty sure that boat predates welding by a few years...That would make the boat unreliable. But, I could be wrong...I'll check Monday.
I have a 1992 Zodiac MKII that is thermo welded at the seams, with a glued on floor and transom. Been there done that!

rkarran

Cadet

Hi. I'd like to contact Tohatsu Guru. I am in Tampa also and need Tohatsu help. I cannot send him a PM...??/