where to find factory recomended prop size

Bigrthanur

Cadet
Hello,

I recently bought a 1994 thompson calae 1800 with a 4.3L Mercruiser alpha one outdrive. I know someone who has a Merc high five 21pitch prop that I am going to do a trade on. The prop that is on the boat now isnt in that great of shape and I am going to use it as a spare.

My question is will this be a good prop for the boat, I do not know the rev limit as I have not taken the boat to the water yet. The person I bought it off said he was using a 19 pitch prop then changed to a 17 pitch. He said the hole shot was great and the boat planed out in about 2 seconds, didnt know the top speed as he never took it that fast.

Does anyone know if this prop will be a good hole shot and top speed? Or any estimates on speeds?

thank you

Tom

etracer68

Ensign
Re: where to find factory recomended prop size

There really isnt factory recomended prop sizes. It all depends on how the boat is loaded and used. You must first, run the boat with the prop, get numbers, and go from there. READ THIS FIRST, is a must. I have three differant props I use, and it depends on what Im doing that day with the boat. Im sure you can find a prop, that will give you a happy spot. But to get the best answer, is to, get numbers first.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... If the hull performed well with a 17" or a 19",...

It's probably gonna be over-propped, 'n lug the motor wit a 21"...

Bigrthanur

Cadet

ok that was the information I needed.
Thank ya!!!!