1978 Johnson quit on me today.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Old Motor in great shape, first time on the water. She ran well for awhile then when I throttled down from WOT she quit. It wasn't hot, the first thing I did was put my hand on that crank case. After she quit I couldn't even get a soliniod click when I turned the key. Now I did get a click when I let the key back into the run position from the start position. I'll research a little later today when I have more time. I checked the battery as well and I was over 13 volts, so it's not the battery. Any thoughts would be helpful.... It was a shake down cruise anyway so if this was going to happen, I wanted it to happen today, so it's ok. Thanks again.
EDIT, I almost forgot to add, That old motor had me doing 43MPH on my GPS before it quit. That's on a 17.5' fiberglass runabout, an old one at that, Could not be happier with that performance. I think the weight with me and about 8 gals of gas was around a little over 1100 pounds. And it was against the current and a bit of wind. Wondering what top end would be with a stainless prop?
1978 Johnson 115 HP. 115ETL78

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1978 Johnson quit on me today.

Post the model number/hp of the motor.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, it's up, I Edited my original post.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

With 13 volts in the battery and no click at the solinoid I would suspect a bad electrical connection somewhere. Start by inspecting, checking & cleaning battery cables.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just had some time to go out and play with it a little. I turned the key and nothing. So I jumped the starter and it cranks over fine. I turned the key to the start pos. and jumped the battery and I have spark. So, then I tried the key again and it started right up. I think that yes it may be a loose connection because The engine died on me and then I got no response from the key.