doel fin

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
clerk at boater's world sold my wife one of these as the best thing since sliced bread. Knowing the two most important words in the world to a married man are "yes, Dear" I'm going to put it on my 26 ft sea ray next week. Is it really as good as this clerk claims? What is the real truth on these?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: doel fin

If you had a 17' Bilgeliner,+ were pulling kids on tubes,.....<br />A dolefin might be a Good Thing,..........<br /><br />But,..... In Your Case,......<br />You're Wasting Your Time,+ She Wasted Your Money..........<br />Especially on such a Huge Ship..............<br />Lot's of Undue Stresses on the Gimbel Housing,.. In My mind anyway.....<br /><br />If your having Planing Problems,.............<br />A rather Large set of Trim Tabs will be the Cure........... ;)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It is only a good product if you need it.If you need to get on plane quicker and stay on plane at lower speeds or if the bow pops up and down after you plane then it is a good product for you..If none of these conditions are needed to be met then it would be a waste of $29.I have used them and like them.Charlie

Trent

Captain

I agree with Bondo.. They work great on smaller boats. I tryed one on a 25 footer and you could tell no difference. On one of my 18 footers it gets on plane in half the time.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If it's so great, how come all the wizardry and engineering at the major outboards manufacturers haven't thought of it, and incorporated it into the newest design? Proper boat set-up is and should be all you need...and thats like Bondo sez...... trim tabs on a 26..........

Ralph 123

Captain

Just to prove there is no hard and fast rule, I use Doel Fins on my 28' twin engine, 6,000 lb 1979 Formula and they perform magnificently - so much so I never use my tabs any more... It handles better at low speed. It planes much quicker and at a lower speed. So, I guess the real answer is, try it and see. It goes on quickly and comes off just as fast :) Make sure the trailing edge (the widest part) is about centered over the prop for proper performance.<br /><br />To answer your question Robby, becuase every boat is different. On some boats they work great and on others they can make things worse.

tommays

Admiral

If it's so great, how come all the wizardry and engineering at the major outboards manufacturers haven't thought of it,
same reason they sell 26 ft boats with out trim tabs and bilge pumps that are so small they can barely keep up with a good rain shower <br /><br /> i like my doel fin<br /><br />and after hearing how evil fins are all winter i started my yearly week at lake geroge with out it and tested my speeds and performance with and with out it<br /><br />well with the 19 in prop i went 41 mph without it and 41 with it and had a much better ride with it pretty good speed for a 3.0 on a 20 ft boat and i was reving past 4800 i can get 43 mph with a 21 but i dont run the boat empty very often<br /><br />when i put my bro and are 4 now full size 17 to 20 year olds in the boat to go into town it wont plane with everybody sitting in there seats<br /><br /><br />which pssed everybody off put it back on even put 2 200 pound guys in the back seat what you know it has no problem getting on plane <br /><br />with 6 guys on the boat and the lighest one at 170 it still did 39.5 MPH <br /><br />i realy like wasteing money like this <br /><br />now looking at some of the other COPYS of the orginal doel fin i can see how they might cause problems because there way to BIG and extend much to far past the rear of the cavation plate<br /><br /><br />tommays

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Absolutely hate them. They are dangerous and should be outlawed!!! IF they work it's because they are just covering a problem, not solving it.<br /><br />If you put one on a boat that big, don't come crying to me when the cav plate snaps off!<br /><br />Oh, and have a nice day. :D :D :D <br /><br />Chris.............

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One more OPINION (capitalized to stress that my experience is pretty limited).<br /><br />My bet is that for a boat that big a 'foil will be of little help. Suspect Ralph's success has to do with the fact that he has twin engines which allow two sets of doel fins, enough to work for a large boat. <br /><br />As far as cavitation plate damage, if you are thinking 'foil, I'd recommend you look at the Cobra Marine 'foil. It's a one piece design that bolts on UNDER the cavitation plate, reducing stress on the plate. Mine works GREAT (4.3L, 17' boat). My neighbor has one on his 20' boat, and it definitely helps (quicker planing, reduced bow rise, and lower planing speed), but not nearly as much as mine does. <br /><br />Design issues aside, I suspect the advantages of a 'foil are generally inveresly proportional to the size of the boat and that John would be better off putting his $30 towards tabs of some sort.

jurasicjet

Cadet

I have a Stingray hydrofoil on my 19ft Celebrity with a 4.3L V6 (4bbl). I hee-hawed around about putting them on. The sales guy told me that they were a waste of money. I bought them anyhow.<br />One of the best $50 I spent on the boat. Gets up on plane real quick, I'd say 50% quicker than before. My only complaint is that I think they took 4-5 mph off of my top end, but I don't go wide open much anyhow (4 barrel sucking gas!?).<br />With two adults sitting on the rear bench, couldn't hardly get the thing to plane before, just because it is a plane old heavy boat.<br />On your size of boat, donnno.

ziggy

Admiral

i'm a bit late on this post, but have just been waiting for someone to post about doel type fins so i can wine about them, :) . your boat is much bigger than mine for sure. but i had the stingray type fins on my 165 ever since i can remember. well, i'm with achris here. broke off my ventilation plate. now i got a piece of alum. screwed onto my vent plate, starboard side, cause i aint found a aluminum welder that's hip.. i don't see, at this point much differce without them to with them as there gone on my boat now. on plane, i do think my ride has bow up a bit more without them with full down trim. comeing to plane. not much diff. low speed plane not much difference. also when i took the fins off, i find that my vent plate is broke on the port side too, due to the fins. someone was able to aluminim weld that side good enough. <br />so i say tabs too. if i do anything for what i got it will be tabs. perhaps i don't need anything, and yer boat being so big will need some extra help to get on plane, i don't know. but like bondo says too, i don't like the idea of the extra stress that most likely is on the drive idea either. let alone breaking off vent plate pieces. <br />one last note for my opinion on this. i just keep thinking about how much extra stress is put on the vent plate, and the drive in general when i'm at wot and the boat is at a 45* angle, just below plane, and thems fins are down there trying to rip my stuff up just to lift the back end up so i can plane faster. trim tabs just seem like a better idea to me.

Ralph 123

Captain

ow looking at some of the other COPYS of the orginal doel fin i can see how they might cause problems because there way to BIG and extend much to far past the rear of the cavation plate
I think you may be on to something tommays. Doel Fins, properly installed on my pre-Alphas are no where near the end of the cavitation plates. The trailing edge is supposed to be centered over the prop which is a good 3" or so from the end of the plate. Stingrays and the other brands of hydrofoils are very different. Doel Fins are 2 independent pieces rather than one piece like a stingray. And as you say, at their widest, they don't overhang the plate all that much. They are also not a purely flat plate but are contoured. So, there is a difference in hydrofoils.

tommays

Admiral

one we are talking ABOUT the orginal doel-fin please dont tell how the copy caused problems<br /><br />in the great american way doel made something that worked THEN people copyed it and as in all things american BIGGER IS BETTER so the copys are bigger but not better <br /><br />i would like trim tabs BUT i got a swin platform thats part of the transome<br /><br />so the best i can do is put tabs in a less than perfect positon (to close together)so at best i am going to hafe a>> trim tabs<br /><br />next problem they make my swim ladder dangerous<br /><br />next problem i have to invent a different way to keep the boat held down to the trailer because they creat problems with that also<br /><br /><br />i really dont need that many problems i have been useing the doel fin for 8 years with out problems after i found i could not fit on bennet tabs correctly<br /><br /><br />tommays

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by jurasicjet:<br /> I have a Stingray hydrofoil on my 19ft Celebrity with a 4.3L V6 (4bbl)....One of the best $50 I spent on the boat. <br />
My experience on my 18 Ft Rinker with a 3.0 with just the opposite with the Stingray. I didn't like it so I took it off. It planed about the same, cut my top speed a touch, and really altered my steering response in hard turns at speed...especially in boat wakes...so I felt it may be dangerous.<br /><br />Every boat responds differently. Might be a good crutch for an older boat without a good hull design, but for a well designed boat that's properly setup it should be unnecessary and generally will negatively effect handling. Small, underpowered or overweight boats get the most noticable difference and planing improvements.<br /><br />That said...I've never tried a Doel fin, and they are a distinctly different design from the Stingray.<br /><br />So...try the fin and see how you like it. If you don't like it, take it off and Ebay it. If you do, keep it. But my guess is that I don't think you'll find it to be a good product for a boat your size.

MRS

Commander

I know this should go in another post but it sounds like you guys know what you are talking about any how. I was running a trolling plate on 120 merc. 1969 Do you think it will hurt my outdrive or motor. I was thinking of putting it back on. I took it off because I was worried about hurting the motor or outdrive it started to run hot so I did change impeller but have not put trolling plate back on. I am asking because I think when it is up it would act like a doel type fin. Thanks for any reply.....P.S. it is 17ft.