Decided to stay with four stroke motor,...upgrading to a Yamaha this week!

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not more than a month ago,I posted a thread here at iboats about the possibility of repowering my 2010 Lund A-14 with an older two stroke Evinrude or Johnson motor. Well,I'm still going to repower,...but I am staying with a four stroke motor and going with Yamaha! I chose to stay with a four stroke for at least three reasons: 1. Better fuel economy,...2.quieter operation,especially at idle speed,...and 3. Not having to mix gas and oil. Why the choice to go with Yamaha? Yamaha's
reputation for dependability and reliability! Yes,...I could have chosen Honda,Suzuki,or Tohatsu,...but just felt in my heart and mind that Yamaha is my best choice,and why not! Any motor but Mercury. Granted,I know some of you run Mercury and most likely have good service out of them,...unfortunately that was not,...nor has it ever been,...the case with me.
I have owned Mercury,Evinrude,and Johnson,...and now about to become a Yamaha owner. The Evinrude and Johnson motors I had were pretty reliable,...only reason I got rid of them was poor fuel economy. The only good thing the two two stroke Mercs had going for them was slightly better fuel economy than the Evinrude or Johnson motors,...but the reliability was not there. The current four stoke Mercury that is being traded for the Yamaha has not been all that reliable,either,..just not the motor I hoped and thought it would be.