The Most Ridiculous Story in Gulf News

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: The Most Ridiculous Story in Gulf News

Jeez, all he had to do is shut the ignition off.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1.
Seen a few cases like this, I think they like the buzz.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

RJ is right, just turn off the ignition. Could have shifted into neutral also.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really easy to sit at this 'puter and think of what he coulda/shoulda done to stop the car. We don't really know what he tried or if any of those ideas would have worked. Panic can do terrible things to clear thinking.

sasto

Captain

Really easy to sit at this 'puter and think of what he coulda/shoulda done to stop the car. We don't really know what he tried or if any of those ideas would have worked. Panic can do terrible things to clear thinking.

So very true, JB. Panic can get you into trouble. Some handle it better than others. I don't think my attitude allows panic to set in. Least not yet! Shutting off the ignition is almost always the way to get out of this situation.

Welcome back.... Marco!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Some people fear turning off the ignition since they "might" lock the steering.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

"Meanwhile, the police officials from the central operations department started giving safety instructions to the motorist over the phone.

They advised him to fasten the seat belts and take similar precautions........."

Some people just shouldn't drive.:facepalm::facepalm:

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Did they then give him a ticket for talking on the phone while driving?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Some people fear turning off the ignition since they "might" lock the steering.

And that's the problem with allot of these cases. The misinformation, and perception that Turing off the ignition is going to lock the steering. Fact is that anything built in the last 20+ years has an interlock built in to prevent the steering wheel from locking while the vehicle is in gear.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

This and the key still being in.

The key still being in is part of the interlock. In reality, the interlock only allows the key back to the first ACC position on the ignition switch (no further).

Allot of the vehicles now are key-less with a push button to start, but it still works the same way. If you push and hold the button while the vehicle is in gear the engine will shut off, but you will still have steering.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It may not have had an ignition key ;) I'm with JB, all speculation, but I just rented a Nissan Altima with a proximity key and I think that most of their models are the same. It is not obvious to me how you'd shut it off underway. I will try later today. You can scroll from off to "Accessory" by pushing the start button without your foot on the brake when sitting still. If your foot is on the brake all you do is tap the start button and it will start. Not sure what the deal is while it's running though. I'll try and let you guys know.

foodfisher

Captain

You will loose power steering and power assisted braking.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Better than dying ^^^^ You can still steer and stop.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not trying to hijack the thread, just want to relay a close experience to the OP.
I was a mechanic for a transit authority and we received 25 new buses. We had always ran Detroit Diesel engines, however DD was not able to supply transit bus engines due to emissions regulations. Not to many guys in our shop were familiar with the new engines. (Won't mention the manufatuer.) Soon after they were put on the road, drivers started complaining about the buses just "taking off". As mechanics, we tried like crazy to recreate the situation. It finally happened to me while test driving one of the buses in question. Scary experience, setting at a stop light and the engine reved up and was trying, quite successfully, to over come the brakes. I kicked the trans to neutral and called the shop and had it towed back. The engine manufactuer sent several engineers and all kinds of head honcho big wigs to our shop to figure out what was going on. While they were there, they started getting calls from there head office that the same thing was happening at a couple of different transit authorities across the country. The person who finally figured out what was going on was an old mechanic at their local shop. The inside of the fuel pumps were coming apart and little flakes of metal were getting into a check valve, allowing the pump to run wide open, unrestricted. Crazy, crazy mess. We were lucky that none of these buses were ever in an accident. If I remember right, 12 or 13 of the 25 were effected.

Once again, didn't mean to hijack the thread, the original post just rminded me of this. Sorry to be long winded.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

You will loose power steering and power assisted braking.

OMG... It would be sorta like driving the majority of the vehicles built before the 1970's, when old Ladies had to man handle cars that weighed as much as a 1 ton diesel PU into parking spots at the A&P and church... :rolleyes: :D

Seriously though... Most vehicles have a vacuum reserve for the brake booster. You have a couple of good brake pedal pumps before you're in unassisted brake territory.

As far as power steering is concerned, with most vehicles of today the power steering is ramped down as vehicle speed increases. Chances are if they are moving, they are not going to notice a huge change in steering effort required till they have slowed down to a safe speed anyway.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I saw my 10 year old G'son pushing his motorbike back to the barn one day and asked him what's wrong?

He said the throttle stuck wide open and it wouldn't slow down.

I asked what did you do?

He TURNED IT OFF!

Ten years old and has common sense!

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

well maybe talking about it will give somebody an idea of what or what not to do incase it ever happens to them

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well maybe talking about it will give somebody an idea of what or what not to do in case it ever happens to them

Agreed.