new boat

nicker22

Recruit
I have just started looking for my first boat. I have never owned a boat before. Im looking for a bowrider for weekend use of just crusing and tubeing. Use would be mainly 2 adults and 4 kids. My main question is what a good reliable manufacturer to stay with? People have told me to stay away from bayliner. I have seen a few nice larsons Id that have interested me. Engine not sure on, i like the I/O merc's seem to get the good reviews.

so much learn but im looking forward to it.

thanks in advance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: new boat

Welcome nicker22.

Before talking brands, we need a budget, then take a grand or two off that to save for maintenance, repairs, incidentals like tubes, ropes, lifejackets, etc.

Also, are you a do-it-yourselfer, or will you rely on a dealer for service, repairs, and maintenance?

Nothing wrong with Bayliners per se, but surely they had a few bad years. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one IF it is in good condition and the price is right.

Take your time, literally tens of thousands of boats will be on the market in the next 3 months.

Don't take the sellers word for anything. These are tough economic times and many sellers will lie through their teeth.

tpenfield

Staff member

It would be good to figure out a budget, and that determines the brands and ages (new, used, really used, etc) that you will want to look at.

Bayliner has a reputation as an economy boat, but it is in good company with some other brands.

Mid-range brands include (IMHO) - Sea Ray, Chaparral, Regal, Crownline, Ebbtide, Four Winns, Monterey, Donzi

On the higher end you are looking at: ChrisCraft, Cobalt, Formula, Grady White, Pursuit, Wellcraft

Mercruiser or Volvo Penta are the brands of I/O that you will run into. If you encounter any OMC, run away rather than into.

Use the boat classified sites as well as Craigs list.

boats.com
boattraderonline.com

there are a few more . . . you will find them as you Google your way to success.

Make sure you take a boating course, if you are not previously experience in boating. Power Squadron or Coast Guard Aux.

cyclops2

Banned

IN MY OPINION, any boat that is 20 years and newer, .... was not crashed,.... is SAFE.
Just like cars. Boats are very safe. As far as the motors of boats. Mercruiser & Volvo are G M motors with SLIGHT differences.

Bay liners are not more dangerous than other boats. Reckless drivers cause problems. Not the boats.

On a percentage basis. I doubt that Bayliner is much worse than some very overpriced brands.

Many different branded hulls are made by the same company to save money. Same as the old GM model lines. Different colors & hood / Bow ornament.

That said. Every company DOES run off a bad bunch of parts used in a boat.
Protection from the sun for how many people? How many good sized coolers of food & drinks ?
Would you like a boat that normally always goes straight as you try to dock it ? That is not a joking question.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Look at bowriders at least 19' long to handle the crew size you listed. Twenty-one would be even better. We need to know your budget, what tow vehicle you have (or are planning to buy), etc.

cyclops2

Banned

Always buy as MUCH length, width & larger V8 motor as you can. That allows all four kids to sit in the bow seats. You & and the wife to sit in the big plush bucket seats. No one needs to be sitting in the rear bench seat. BIG V8 engines make a boat a little stern heavy. So everybody up front is fine.

At 19 to 21 feet long you should be able to pull all 4 kids at any speed in any tube or raft. There is so much to gain in storage & comfort in the 19 to 21' range.

18 1/2 ' will do a great job also with a 5.0 L V8 or larger motor. that is right at 50 mph WOT

You HAVE to test RIDE all the boats WITH the kids.

NO WAY around that!!

If they say...Rough ride or GREAT ride....You are in control of picking the right boat. Enjoy the time together. :):)

Pick the boat that everyone has a smile on their faces from. :)

UncleWillie

Captain

Everyone else will jump in here and giving you all the other advice about wood rot, and OMC Drives, and Cracked Blocks, Etc.

So here is my standard advice about Logistics.

If the boat does not come with all the Required Equipment.
Allow another $500 to $800 for Life jackets, Flares, Fire extinguishers, Anchor, Anchor Line, Fenders, Dock lines, and then a few Water Toys just to get started.

That boat will be over 3000lbs on the trailer with Fuel and supplies.
Your average SUV is not rated to tow that much!
What will you be towing it with?

Where will you be storing it?
Many communities require that if it is stored in the yard, it must be out-of-sight from the road.
Will it fit in the garage?
Can you roll it into the backyard?
Is the driveway wide enough? (8.5ft?)

A 120 hp engine is going to burn at least 5 Gal per Hour at cruise, double that wide open.
A full day on the water, fuel, food, snacks will cost $100+. Is that in the budget?

I am not trying to throw water on your fire.
I just want to make sure you are going in with all the facts. :cool:

---------------

Now, my very general advice on looking at used boats.

Condition is everything.

Every seller will tell you the boat is in Great condition.
Everyone’s idea of "Great" is different!
Put more value in the issues he points out as bad!

Look for signs that it has been taken care of.
When you go to look at it, If he pulls it out of the garage or takes the cover off .... GOOD!
If it is sitting in the driveway and has leaves, dirt, or water in it .... BAD!

If the reason for selling it is, he just doesn't use it any more.
It likely hasn't been used or maintained for years! .... BAD!

If he is selling it because the new boat is about to arrive ...
It is likely to be in good running condition, and he just has 2footitis.... GOOD!

Work out the price and insist on a sea trial.
No sea trial? ... Price the boat assuming it doesn't run!
Running on muffs in the driveway does not count!

... Unless you would buy a car that you could only idle in the driveway, but not actually drive.!
If he starts it without the drive in the water, even for 3 seconds! .... Run Away! :eek:

And #1 Take A Boaters Education Course, It is likely required by law in your state if you are under 30.

Happy Hunting, Remember, Stalking works better than Rushing!

cyclops2

Banned

I do not know how we ALL FORGOT this no no.

DO NOT buy ANY BOAT not made of FIBREGLASS OR ALUMINUM......................For at least 3 boats.

NEVER EVER look at or consider a wood boat as a first one.

DO not care how wonderfull it looks, smells, feels, rides or if it is a loving couple of seniors selling it for $ 500 dollars........................... It will own your time, money, & require a recoating of that shiney finish in VERY short order compared to fibreglass or Aluminum.

I hope you have some friends who have had several boats to help you.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Where are you located, and where will you do your boating (lake, river, oceamn etc.)?

It makes a big difference.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sine this is your first boat, consider something a little smaller and simpler than a big lead sled. All of your logistics become easier when you stay at or under 19'--storage, maintenance, launching, single axle trailer and no brakes, etc.
Just look for a model with lots of open room inside the boat--open space is way more important than padding. That's why I recommend an outboard. Children will sit anywhere on anything.

Do NOT take the family for a test run or a maiden voyage.

You may not get a "sea trial" for an inexpensive used boat, especially now if you live in colder areas. That's just part of the market. Thus you have to be able to assess and take risk, or pay more. In your case, paying for reliability may be worth giving up 2 feet of boat.

nicker22

Recruit

thanks very much for all the reponses. Im looking for a around an 18' on a single axel trailer. I will be storeing the boat outside during the summer months and in the winter it would be winterized and stored indoors. I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. So a 18' boat shouldn't be a problem. Being my first boat id like to stay around the $5000.00 area. Im leaning towards an inboard. I do take my self as being handy so any work on the boat id like to try to tackle other then major engine work. Im in Ont and will be running the boat on Lake Huron. I do have a few friends with boats and a co worker with many years of boating. I will be taking the boating course, its required here. I have been doing more research and the brand I guess isn't much of an issue as the condition of the boat.

are there any major differences with going outboard vrs inboard?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have been doing more research and the brand I guess isn't much of an issue as the condition of the boat

Correct. You want a solid, rot free boat with a non-obsolete powerplant. Stick with GM-based Mercruiser or Volvo I/O's or pretty much any outboard except Chrysler/Force.

are there any major differences with going outboard vrs inboard?

That's a can of worms! We've had many many heated threads debating the subject. I/O engines are generally simpler and easier to work on but have a lot of added stuff between the crank and the prop that outboards don't have. Outboards are a little more complicated to work on but have less moving, serviceable parts overall. A complete repower is also easier with an outboard (although we certainly have guys here that could swap out an I/O motor in an hour). I/O's can be expensive to get caught up on neglected maintenance if you don't plan to do the work yourself. I/O's do get significantly better gas mileage than their equivalent outboard powerplants. Living where you do, winterization will be something you'll have to deal with with an I/O.

Personally I prefer outboards but that's just me. :)

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At your price range of $5k, that doesn't buy much here in Southern Cal but don't shy away from the name Bayliner just because of the name: a well kept Bayliner is better than a neglected Sea Ray, Chaparral, Regal, etc. Since this is your first boat, I would suggest you consider an outboard if for no other reason than a much less likely chance of an explosion that there is with an i/o. My first 3 boats back in the 80's were all outboards and the brand new 83 Bayliner 16 foot bowrider with a force engine would do 40+ mph, easy on the gas, easy to trailer/launch by myself and had seating for a family your size. As the other posters have mentioned, plan for spending extra money at the outset for inspections, gear, etc. and budget for yearly maintenace items.
Good luck.
Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

to me, avoiding winterization is one of the biggest advantages of an outboard,especially if you live in temperate places that freeze occassionally but also permit almost year round boating--get one of those bonus days, hop in the boat and go!

Also OB's take up no room in the boat itself, an important factor for a boat under 21'.

cyclops2

Banned

I have a Chaparral 186 SSI with a Mercruiser 5 L V8. Does all I could ask of a boat.
High, wide, carries 8 easily & safely. Does 50mph when I want to empty the 38 gallon tank in a morning. Never feel threatned by weather. The rear engine deck is full width with soft white Naugahyde for a person to lay down and sun bath while cruising.
VERY comfortable seperate bolstered seats for driver & co driver. NO ENGINE NOISE at 50 mph. That is the BEST feature of a inboard type of boat over a outboard boat. Bow riders can talk EASILY to people in the rear of the boat without raising their voices. Chaps SSI are WELL sound proofed.
I have never met & rode in a Chaparral SSI type of boat powered by a outboard. Do they exist ?

So there are some very definate differences in up scale used boats to consider. At $ 5000 range. Should be able to buy OB or a inboard powered boat....Just do not get panicky as the season draws closer........Get it right the first time........DO NOT let a slick talker change youre first impression of NOT LIKING the boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WALK AWAY FAST!!!!!! Lots more to check out.......When you fall in love.......Bring a GOOD paid mechanic to test ride the boat. Best person to tell you how good a boat IS or IS NOT. Also how much more money it will take to fix the boat. :)