Steering cable unable to move by hand not installed

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought an old 18 ft catalina ski boat, the steering cable was disconnected and removed from the transom bracket it was said to be frozen. They also gave me another cable to try, unknown condition. I inspected it and it is pretty greasy, but couldn't pull the steering arm side of the cable by hand? Should I be able to move the internal slide by hand and not installed. Or do I have to hook it up to the steering wheel to find out?

Would I be better off buying a new cable, I don't think I want to do this job twice? The outboard is a 85 horse johnson.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Steering cable unable to move by hand not installed

After reading some other steering threads, I decided to get a new cable. No point in risking my life on some old worn out cable. I've been in some heart pounding situations crossing from the bay into the gulf, and that would be a bad time for something to go wrong, especially like steering.

What about a new helm? It has a plastic steering wheel. Do the parts inside ever go bad?

Bondo

Staff member

What about a new helm? It has a plastic steering wheel. Do the parts inside ever go bad?

Ayuh,.... They sell cable 'n helm "Kits" that aren't much more expensive than Just the cable....

Yes, the gears in the helm can go Bad,...

I'd replace the Whole thing...

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was, and you may very well be, very pleased with the results on getting a full.. new ... steering system installed .
Mine now turns smoother than any system I have ever had before !!