1977 115 evinrude wiring problems please help!!

mickeyred

Cadet
just hooked up 1977 115 evinrude cranks over but no spark, my first boat! have knowledge of mechanics but where do i start? Have volt meter! Please take me through the steps, im very upset! Thanx so much!

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1977 115 evinrude wiring problems please help!!

Basics first. Have you checked compression? Without compression there is no point in putting time, effort and money into the engine. The rule is all 4 cylinders should be within 10% of each other. So one could be at 100psi while the others are at 110psi.

On my 135 and 85 johnson there is a glass fuse in a red rubber housing next to the starter, I think juice from your stator flows through that to the coils, I could be wrong, but worth checking

Last edited:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also make sure your battery is fully charged, that motor needs to spin at about 300 rpm to spark successfully.

eavega

Lieutenant

There is a great guide available from CDI for testing the ignition components. You will need a DVI adapter to your multmeter, or a multimeter with a peak-voltage setting. Compression is necessary for the motor to run, but so is spark. You can choose to tackle the ignition problems first, but know that for the motor to actually start and run you need fuel, compression, and spark. All three systems need to be checked and functional in order for your motor to start. Ignition, however, can be the trickiest (and most expensive) of the three if a problem is detected. You should be able to identify where the ignition is failing without having to buy any replacement parts using the CDI guide.

Rgds