Neutral Safety

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sometimes when I go to start up motor it will not start unless I mess with throttle control. Is the problem with the button that I push to just have throttle only? Is there a safety switch in there that doesn't allow to start when trans not disengaged...Thank you in advance.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Neutral Safety

most have a switch internally to prevent staring in gear.should see 2 yellow wires leaving the control box, for testing just short them together.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Generally there is a microswitch inside that rides on the gear shift mechanism. If that mechanism moves from neutral the switch opens and disables the starting circuit. When you push in the throttle only button, the mechanism is disengaged from the handle and does not move, so the switch stays closed. It may be that your safety switch is not working correctly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All your going to get is general answers until you tell us what you have. Things like make, model, year. A picture of the control usually does best since they never have numbers on them.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I will get photos and as much info on controls as soon as possible. I will look at a few of the situations posted so far also..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you were to just give a year and if it's Mercruiser or not it would sure help. You give NOTHING for information except it's a control, and there are hundreds of different controls over the years. We aren't mind readers here.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

We aren't mind readers here.

Time for a new crystal ball??? :D