seacast

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: seacast

how about a little info so we don't have to look it up, in case we know about something similar or by another name?

It's not new...been around a while. If you search transom rebuilds or just seacast here you will find a load of info. There is also nidabond. If you are rebuilding a transom, simply consider plywood. Info from you is good and advice here is great!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I have used seacast before. it worked for me on the transom that I did. however in retrospect it would have been cheaper and just as easy to use plywood.

kinnerg

Cadet

yes I am the one with the Kenner. What I found is that you never mess with your transom again. It's permanently done.

haulnazz15

Captain

I have also rebuilt my transom with SeaCast. It is not a "new" product as it's been around for a decade or more. It is more expensive than using plywood, but it is as solid as it gets and pretty simple to use. I recommend it if you intend on keeping the boat for any long period of time, but plywood will still last 20-30yrs if maintained properly.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there any other product around to do the transom other than the ones mentioned?

yes I am the one with the Kenner. What I found is that you never mess with your transom again. It's permanently done.

Original wood transoms are going to rot on you unless you really care for them and (usually) store inside. I think it was WOG that had a 30+ year old boat with a solid and intact wood transom, but that is not the norm. Most will work (repair) from the inside... Carve/dig out all the old wood leaving the outer cap. Replace with properly sealed plywood and re-glass. It's a lot of work, but done right it will last a very long time. Send some more pics of whatchagot and we can recommend a strategy.

Is there any other product around to do the transom other than the ones mentioned?

I have only seen Seacast and Nidabond. Both are heavy and both cost more than replacing with plywood. I say, unless you are doing a big boat...25' or more...then stick with plywood.

haulnazz15

Captain

Our boat had the transom rot out in basically 30 years of use (~700 engine hours) and stored indoors and covered every bit of it. We chose to go with SeaCast because we like the boat, and intend to keep it as long as it is feasible to keep it. I am confident that the transom will never rot and if the boat sinks, it sure as heck won't be because the transom failed because that thing is solid as a rock! Again, it costed about $1K altogether to repair it ourselves with SeaCast, including the fiberglass mat and other items. We were quoted $2K for a shop to do it with plywood.