Recycle 14' Aluminum Boat?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking of recycling a 14' Lund Alum. boat that has seen better days, so i call a local metal scrape yard and they buy scrape alum. for .30-40 cents per lb. That seems alittle low to me or is that the going rate?? This is the first time i will be recycling a boat so can anybody tell me what is a fast way to cut aluminum. I have a skill-saw, saw-zall.
Any advise is always appreciated

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recycle 14' Aluminum Boat?

There are many grades of aluminum scrap, and all have a different price.

Here, they regard scrap aluminum from boats as "breakage". And the price is 20 cents per lb.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Breakage" wow ok i think i might just sell the boat for what i can get instead of all the work&hassle of recycling.
There are many grades of aluminum scrap, and all have a different price.

Here, they regard scrap aluminum from boats as "breakage". And the price is 20 cents per lb.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yup it is not considered anything more than aluminum siding/sheet scrap........ not work much.

There really is no part of an aluminum boat that can not be repaired. Fix it and sell it.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

If you do scrap it,there is no reason to cut it up. Just drag the whole boat to your scrapyard. It's their problem to 'resize' it for resale. [nobody cuts up cars for the shredder either!]

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat weights about 230lb. so minus wood maybe 180lb. of alum. at .30 is about$55 bucks. I think i can get $100-150 as a whole boat. I will list it on Craigslist next week.

UncleWillie

Captain

The problem with your scrap idea is they want the aluminum only.
If there is one steel screw or a piece of wood in the scrap, it is classified as contaminated. ($.15)
Paint and most anything else that will burn off in the smelter is generally OK.
Non-Contaminated Aluminum will go for .45 to $.60 a pound depending on thickness.

If you go over it with a magnet and strip it to only aluminum, it will be worth 3 times as much.
For example Aluminum Cans are going for $.50 a lb.!

If you showed up with a complete boat, wood and steel bolts, That .30 to $.40 phone quote would likely drop.
Unfortunatly, If you want more money for the scrap, you will have to work for it.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Put it up on cl for a hundred and it will be gone quickly and you would get more $$ with less work

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Sell it for $100 and double your money, just let them know it needs work but somone out there would love to have that boat and it is a Lund so unless the hull is ripped it is still a good boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Lord knows I'd be pretty pumped to find a 100 dollar Lund!:D