extreme fuel leak

BFSGREG

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 evinrude 15hp 2-stroke, when I connect fuel line to petcock on motor
fuel leaks out of carb like a sieve. I disconnectd and connected again with same results......
any ideas?
thanks

nwcove

Admiral
Re: extreme fuel leak

sounds like a stuck float, try gently tapping the carb , or better yet rebuild it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The tank needs to be vented in order for the fuel pump to work. If the vent is closed, the tank may build up pressure and the fuel will shoot out of the end of the fuel line when hooking up the connector.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, it sounds like you found the issue. If you ran the motor within the last year, then the fresh new gas should clean out the iside of the carb, of the old dried up oil. Sometimes, a carb with old fuel will dry up and make the float stick open. In this case, I just let fresh new gas sit in the carb for a couple hours and loosen it back up. If the float is working correctly, it should shut the fuel flow off, even if if the tank is pressurized. After all, the '50's motors had tanks that worked exclusively with pressure.

When a tank is not vented, typically, a fuel pump will create enough vacuum in the tank, to where the vacuum pressure in the tank, matches the capability of the fuel pump pull and the motor shuts off. Open the vent and the fuel pump can pull the fuel up again.