This doesn't look good....

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took some photos of the stern prior to the engine being taken out.....when I looked at the photos a bit closer I saw this in each of them. It looks like cracking in the gel-coat, but I am not sure if it is. Could it be possible that water seeped into
the gel-coat and froze under it causing it to crack, or is it something worse than that? :eek:IMG00005.jpgIMG00006.jpgIMG00007.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: This doesn't look good....

it appears as though that has been an issue for quite a while - probably some serious rot goin on in the transom itself

under the drain looks like it is really bad!!!

that issue should have been addressed a long time ago

you probably need a new transom

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually,,,,,at first glance.....it looks like it was caused by impact damage on the drive.

the transom was already weak......so the gell failed.

i would take some core samples of the transom ....between the key hole and the drain.....and below the drain.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Wet swelling wood will do that, then freeze it and you'll get some more... then the wet wood starts to rot...

At least you found it in time to get it done before boating season gets in full swing.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Transom is shot.... the wood maybe ( probably knowing my luck) rotten all the way up:eek: but with every thing else out and doing and entire refit, it was on the list of things that would be done ( should be done before anything else ) guess it raised a red flag with me after I took out the engine and the outdrive off but it was right after we had a really deep freeze that it became more evident something else was happening. So how do I fix this one? grind it down, add the glass, and regel-coat it? Then my next question is what is the optimum thickness the transom shoud be?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... Then my next question is what is the optimum thickness the transom shoud be?

From the Merc manual...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks you actually answered my next question as well....optimum angle of the transom ....many thanks for that photo. I went to the local marine shop today and forgot to ask the cost of the poly and 1708 but average on 1708 is approx $2.75 a ft x 50" and for this project....well I'm gonna need quite a bit of both and a large budget. I ordered the outdrive parts, and gaskets n seals total just under $300.00. Guess I will have to just get a little bit at a time and then just " dive right in" :D Thanks guys.