johnson 15 hp 1976

tabaxter1986

Cadet
How do I wire my electric start switch. It is a push button with two screws on the bottom side to connect wires to. With this motor not having a starter solinoid it is wired srtaight to the starter. I'm new at this but would like to know how to fix this without paying tons of money. Thanks

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: johnson 15 hp 1976

On my 77 rude the battery positive wire is attached to one side of the push button and then another wire from the other side of the button to the positive side of the starter; the button acts as the solenoid. Also the wire from the rectifier if you have one is atttached to the same post on the button as the wire from the battery which charges the battery. You can get these 60 amp push buttons at any auto parts store they will have a rubber cover and be marked 60 amp. Good luck.

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hijack the trend but my gosh a 60 a push weld switch?? that's scary. put an generic omc starter solonid on it.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

The 15 h p come from the factory with a 60 amp push button switch; this acts as the solenoid since there is no space under the cowl for a solenoid.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The little permanent magnet starter motor used on these motors only draws 7 amps on open circuit, more when actually cranking the motor. That is how they get away with no solenoid. A 60 amp push button is plenty adequate. Battery (+) cable and rectifier wire goes to one side of the push button starting switch, other side goes to one side of the neutral start safety switch. Another cable goes from the other side of the neutral switch to the starter. That provides start-in-neutral-only protection.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The little permanent magnet starter motor used on these motors only draws 7 amps on open circuit, more when actually cranking the motor. That is how they get away with no solenoid. A 60 amp push button is plenty adequate. Battery (+) cable and rectifier wire goes to one side of the push button starting switch, other side goes to one side of the neutral start safety switch. Another cable goes from the other side of the neutral switch to the starter. That provides start-in-neutral-only protection.

Cool. You learn something every day.