Where to buy marine paint/primer...

StayAfloatPlz

Seaman Apprentice
I see various posts online of people getting marine paint at home depot/lowe's/ace hardware. I can't seem to find any location even remotely near me that carries it? I wanted to get started today so if i could avoid ordering online, that would be great! I am located east of Atlanta in Georgia...any help is appreciated...

Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to buy marine paint/primer...

Well, it's not Marine paint, but a lot of guys on the forum paint their tinny's with Good ole' Industrial Oil Based Rustoleum that you can buy at Lowe's. You need to acid wash your boat first, then prime any bare aluminum with Self Etching primer(just a very light coat) then you can use the Rustoleum Bare Metal Primer to prime the Entire boat. 2-3 coats of Rustoleum with the Acrylic Enamel hardener added and she'll look like a new one. Total cost should be less than $100 bucks. Check out the link in my signature below. You can use the Valspar Tractor paint from Tractor Supply as well. Basically the same paint as rustoleum.

StayAfloatPlz

Seaman Apprentice

This would work for fiberglass too?

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Check the link. It's for Tin or Glass. Just don't need the SE Primer first. I did My Flamingo with it and it's got a HIGH Gloss shine and hard a nails.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

You're kind of in my neck of the woods... There are a few places in Atlanta to get marine paints. You've got a West Marine not TOO far away in Smyrna, They've got or can get Petit and interlux. Or, you can use the industrial grade stuff like wood did, works pretty well... There are also places to order it online- I've been using products from Super Marine paints, and have really liked them.