Small circulating pump question

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I have a gas-fired tankless water heater which is due for its first regular flushing.
It is not very complicated, but involves circulating vinegar through the pipes for an hour, at the rate of 4 gallons per minute.
I do not have a pump close to that spec, and would need to buy one.
There is a max of 5' lift involved here, so 4 GPM at max 5' should not be a very demanding requirement. I could use a stand that would reduce the lift to ~1'

The question:

Anyone got any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive solution here?
I have a few motors kicking around that I could use as power....or even a drill.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Small circulating pump question

I have a gas-fired tankless water heater which is due for its first regular flushing.
It is not very complicated, but involves circulating vinegar through the pipes for an hour, at the rate of 4 gallons per minute.
I do not have a pump close to that spec, and would need to buy one.
There is a max of 5' lift involved here, so 4 GPM at max 5' should not be a very demanding requirement. I could use a stand that would reduce the lift to ~1'

The question:

Anyone got any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive solution here?
I have a few motors kicking around that I could use as power....or even a drill.

Ayuh,... Are you a Packrat like me Tim,..??

Of the junk I've got kickin' 'round, an ole Washing machine pump comes to mind...
Or,... I've got a few different 1s of these kickin' 'round too...

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,... Are you a Packrat like me Tim,..??

Can't speak for you, but for me....yes...:D

Of the junk I've got kickin' 'round, an ole Washing machine pump comes to mind...
Or,... I've got a few different 1s of these kickin' 'round too...

I can probably "McGyver" something with the junk that I have, but was looking for an idea for something under $40- that I could buy....need to keep that incoming flow going....:D;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Not sure how your recirc is plumbed but you could use a Little Giant pool cover pump and set it in a plastic oil drain pan. Fill the pan with your vinegar, set it on the floor and let it pump up to the heater and let it drain back down to the pan.

A pump like this is about $40 and pumps at about 6 gpm with several feet of head.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...sa=X&ei=sipJT9vRIIadiAKAwsly&ved=0CIoBEPMCMAE

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could use a RV water pump with a 12 v power sorce, they also make this pump in a 120v model, I have one for winterizing a mobile homes. They aren't cheep but would work for your app.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Lower unit set inside a rubbermaid tub, tubing connected to water pump outlet, small briggs engine used to spin the driveshaft. :D

fishrdan

Admiral

How about a submersible sump pump sitting in 5 gallon bucket? I've the pumps around $40-50.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

this is a boating site guys.

360 gph bilge pump. 12v battery. 5 gallon bait bucket.

nwcove

Admiral

im with roscoe, bilge pump, battery and maybe a household dimmer switch to slow the flow.

fishrdan

Admiral

this is a boating site guys.

MMMK then...

I/O outdrive submerged in a tub of vinegar and a huge funnel capturing the prop wash. Not only will the house heater be sparkly clean, so will the cooling passages of the boat's engine :D

Rockmere1

Seaman

With which ever set up you need to do, do you need to worry about capturing anything that breaks loose? Will You Need to Filter the water?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

With which ever set up you need to do, do you need to worry about capturing anything that breaks loose? Will You Need to Filter the water?

Not 100% sure, but I think the idea is that you are to do this often enough that you never get to the point where there uis enough deposited material that this is a concern.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I bought this one to run vinegar through my tankless. I made the mistake of buying one that didn't have enough flow the first time. This one works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPZTEK/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I run mine for a few hours. I assume you already have flushing valves installed at your heater?

Yet another good option. thanks.
I'll probably do a quick search locally for one of the items in the links provided so far....and if i strike out, will probably jump on this one since i jhave had good luck with tha Amazon group.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a 115v swamp cooler pump from homedepot the 5000/6000 cfm one and a ball valve and 3/4" tubing...pump costs less then 20$ and the tubing and valve are cheap...Put the pump in a bucket and go...:eek:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have flushing valves already installed right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That pump I bought was reccomended quite a few times in my research. It worked great. I had previously tried a smaller pump which was pretty pathetic. What is nice about this one is that it already has garden hose ends on it so you can get it set up really easily.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Amazon.com won't ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca does not appear to carry it...

Will have to dig a bit deeper.
May be related to CSA approvals....