Thinking about replacing my outboard

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. So for the past 3 years I've learned more than I wanted to about my outboard, 99 Force 120. Needless to say, I'm still learning. Thank God for fish today cause I think I was only running on 3 cylinders, not certain, but I'd risk the bet. So when pulling the boat onto the trailer I met an old guy who recommended his mechanic. This got me thinking, I could call the guy and pay him for a diagnosis and fix it when i have time, or I can start finally shopping for a better motor and quit all the headache. So here's the question(s), if i buy a new outboard, can I use all the current cables, steering and whatnot? Or do I have to buy new steering cables and throttle etc?

I've never put an outboard on before, also wondering if I should check craigslist for cheap boats and just buy the whole thing and swap the motors? Not looking to break the bank, so either I repair my engine, again, or find a reasonable replacement and figure out what it will cost to put it on.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking about replacing my outboard

Your 99 Force uses Mercury controls and cables so if you stick with a Merc outboard you should be able to re-use the controls.

However, unless your Force is completely trashed, I would recommend repairing your engine over buying an unknown engine. Repairs are easy and relatively inexpensive (compared to buying another engine in good condition)--that is, if you do the work yourself.

BonairII

Commander

Diagnose the problem before you start looking for another motor. Losing a cylinder could be as simple as a bad spark plug/wire. If you have a service manual, you should be able to fix most things yourself.

I literally knew nothing about outboards last year. With my service manual and the folk here at iboats...I'm now fairly proficient at working on my motor.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pretty much know everything there is to know with this thing, of course I still need to diagnos the latest problem, but thats the point. There is always something else. For the 3 yrs I've owned it I've spent more time on the engine then on the water. From day one I've had a bad cylinder, big scar on the inside of #4. I know this from the initial compression check and visibly from having the head off to replace the head gasket. I've replaced the starter twice, the solenoid, re-added a fuse that previous owner eliminated, changed impellers, spark plugs, fuel lines, etc. I'm thinking that bottom cylinder finally took its toll and maybe took its last ride. I will let you know, but that being said, even if it hasn't, it makes the boat less reliable than I'd like it to be. The advice I was given when I purchased this thing was drive it til it don't drive anymore, and I believe I have really extended the hell out of this things life. I'm gonna give it another go-around, but if I see a worthy deal on another motor, I will be putting some serious thought into it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your steering will be compatible. Controls probably not except in certain instances like Frank mentioned. Personally I'd just avoid buying any outboard that didn't come with controls. Some of the best deals on outboards are hanging on the back of crappy boats ;) I agree with you, it's probably time to stop putting money into the Force.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Me too. Is this force a Chrysler?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury bought Force from Chrylser sometime around 92.

I still haven't had the time to tinker around with it again, I'll see if I can at least get around to pulling the plugs today and do some investigating. The bottom line is the score in the bottom cylinder is likely why its never had good even compression, but also it would require boring out the cylinders and a major overhaul. That being said, the engine has run fine when it does run, provided that I don't go full throttle for more than a few minutes. The engines really not suited for top speed in its condition, but to putter out slowlyw and do a little fishing on fresh water it serves its purpose. Too bad the temptation to do what its meant to do is always there.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah sorry to hear that Swick. Sucks when you just want to be on the water and all you have is problems....

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah sorry to hear that Swick. Sucks when you just want to be on the water and all you have is problems....

Yeah thanks Pete. Don't get me wrong, I got a great deal on the boat/ motor combo when I bought it a few years ago, I've had my fun and definitely got my money's worth. I also learned a hell of a lot and am pretty proficient at working on this thing and getting myself out of a jam now too. That kind of experience may be what every new boater needs. But yeah, it sucks having to work on it so much and trying to figure out if I can afford to buy a new one. One day at a time man.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah Im with ya buddy. I have a 1967 Merc 65horse, so I know all about that! I think I finally got her goin well though. I am in the process of saving up for a 75 hp Honda 4 stroke. Love my Hondas!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Gotta say though, it does drive me nuts to see the rich kid blow by me with his daddies 26' cuddy cabin, with two brand spankin new Evinrude E-tecs on the back, when all he ever has to do is turn the key and pull off. Must be nice.....

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta say though, it does drive me nuts to see the rich kid blow by me with his daddies 26' cuddy cabin, with two brand spankin new Evinrude E-tecs on the back, when all he ever has to do is turn the key and pull off. Must be nice.....

haha, yeah I'm with you there, I'm in south florida so I see it all the time. Don't think we'll see may of them here though, its like the guy with the fancy car on the side of the road waiting for AAA cause he can't change a tire.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Me too. Is this force a Chrysler?

Technically ALL Force engines are Chryslers. When Mercury Marine took them over the only thing they did was add electronics and upgrade the lower units. They are still Chrysler engines.

Craig

sutor623

Rear Admiral

haha, yeah I'm with you there, I'm in south florida so I see it all the time. Don't think we'll see may of them here though, its like the guy with the fancy car on the side of the road waiting for AAA cause he can't change a tire.

I know right! But hey I guess if I had an excessive amount of cash flow I'd do the same thing..... Nah I think you have to grow up into money to handle things that way. I love getting my hands dirty, just not when I'm trying to fish. :)

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys, just a quick update, I finally had some time to spend on the motor, I took a short video explaining everything.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it were a Mercury or OMC it might be worth rebuilding. Boring out the block with a oversize pistion. I think its toast!
You would need atleast a .30 over and that might not be enough.
I know it will take money to buy a new motor but your time and money is not worth it in this motor.
Sure you could posibily get it running but then could you in good conscience sell it knowing whats wrong?
Do yourself a favor and cut your losses and buy a good used Mercury or Evinrude/Johnson.
Scrap metal is what you have here.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats kinda what I'm thinking whofan. I guess I'm just looking for that last glimmer of hope that theres something I can do here. I posed the question on another thread about the chances of just replacing the piston and leaving everything else as is, but I guess even doing that would probably be a hell of a lot of work in itself. I'm tempted to see what I can get for the boat/ motor/ trailer combo as-is to another diy'er and start fresh with a new (used) boat/ motor combo.