Boat for sale pricing question

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have a 1992 Bayliner 1950 that I am listing for sale here soon (waiting for Spring). I'm trying to determine pricing. I know Bayliner doesn't have the best reputation for quality, however I bought this boat two years ago from the estate of a guy that owned it since it was new. The guy used it three times from 1992 to 2009 with the remainder of it's time spent in a barn. It was in brand new shape when I bought it. I've since added a Joystick wakeboard tower, a new stereo with 6 speakers, amp, dual batteries with switch and two tower speakers. The boat comes with a cover. I did a NADA search on the boat and it came back with a value of $4750. Should I list it for that, or do the additions add any value? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Boat for sale pricing question

So I have a 1992 Bayliner 1950 that I am listing for sale here soon (waiting for Spring). I'm trying to determine pricing. I know Bayliner doesn't have the best reputation for quality, however I bought this boat two years ago from the estate of a guy that owned it since it was new. The guy used it three times from 1992 to 2009 with the remainder of it's time spent in a barn. It was in brand new shape when I bought it. I've since added a Joystick wakeboard tower, a new stereo with 6 speakers, amp, dual batteries with switch and two tower speakers. The boat comes with a cover. I did a NADA search on the boat and it came back with a value of $4750. Should I list it for that, or do the additions add any value? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should add those things as 'options' when you do the nada pricing. The wakeboard tower will add quite a bit.

The pricing you get is 'average retail' and 'low retail'. If your boat is better than average, perhaps you could get more $$$$.

Then it becomes a matter of asking price versus what you are willing to accept. You need to give yourself some negotiation room, right?

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat for sale pricing question

I thought the tower would add some cash to the value, however, when listing boats on my city's craigslist, we always have some tool bag who follows the posts up with the NADA values. Its really aggravating. I don't really like to negotiate alot, so I typically put my bottom dollar on in addition to the statement, "If you want to negotiate, add $1000 to my price and we can negotiate down from there" Thanks for the response, I'll add a couple of bucks for the tower. I, actually, was considering parting it out to get more money, but that's alot of work to disassemble the boat that I don't really want to go through!