What years are better for OMC 3 cyl motors

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well Im looking for a motor again. Cant by a new 4 stroke like I want so Im looking for the old reliable and NOISY johnson/evinrude.

Are there better years than others I should look for? I've only seen the mid-late 70's sometimes the early 80 model motors for sale at a fair price.

Are the late 80's early 90's motors better? Quieter possibly?

Im looking at a few now one is a 77 70 hp johnson 125 in all 3 holes and runs great for $500. The other is a 89 70hp with the VRO removed in just as good of shape as the other for $1500.

Which would be the better choice

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: What years are better for OMC 3 cyl motors

Stay away from 89 unless it's had the updated block with the mods done to it. As most know the 77 was rated hp at the p/h and the 89 p/s hp.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You have no idea! Mercs were always noisy - Rudes were noted for being quiet. The only noisy ones were from the 1950's.

The 3-ups were fine motors right from the beginning. The only issues were those models with electric shifts. If it were me I'd look for a ~1975 or newer.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've run both the "older" (1976) and the "newer" (1992) powerheads. While both were great engines, I prefer the later ones. Keep in mind the early ones were 49 cubic inches. The newer are 56 cubic inches. That's 10% more cubes on the later engines. The larger cubic inch engines have more torque and are much quieter. Those larger displacement blocks came out in the 1986 model year. Another point. Up through approximately the 85 model year, the engines were hp rated at the crankshaft. Around 86, they had their hp rated at the propshaft. This meant that the 86 and up had to make 10% more real hp than the 85's due to the inherent hp loss in the lower unit gearbox. That hp rating difference may be why the factory upped the cubic inch displacement in 1986. If you get into looking at a 75 hp 3 cylinder, it is a high port (high performance) engine. Makes it's extra 5 hp at the top end. Those 75's are not as strong out of the hole as the 70's are-but will outrun them on top end. Again, I'd pick the 70 hp version at least 86 and newer.

Last edited:

Bob427

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too have had a 1974 70hp and a 1995 70hp
both where very good engines
and i agree the 95 runs much quieter
i still have the 95
i would look for a newer one with power tnt