1999 3.0GSPWTR Water in my oil

CROWE

Cadet
To all need a little help with current issue, I have a 1999 Volvo penta 3.0GSPWTR SER. 4110172318 , ran hot for about 30 minutes ,I immediately shut engine down and towed back to ramp come to find out that sea pump went bad I then changed the sea pump and took boat back out I then noticed water in the oil, I then replaced head gasket along with intake manifold gasket and new riser, I then took boat out for about 2 hours the whole time continually checking the oil, everything looked good, then came home and 3 days later went to take the boat out again then I noticed my oil psi. drop to around 20lbs. and the oil didn't look right, anyway I cannot seem to keep the water out of the oil, I have pressure tested the block with the manifold, I blocked off the riser mount with a steel plate and rubber gasket, I plug the hose at raw water pump hook up on thermostat housing than hooked up my psi. hand pump to the other side of on thermostat housing (no thermostat in housing) pumped up to 20lbs it was loosing pressure 1lb. around 2or3 min. do I need to add more psi.and use soapy water To find water leak? I could not hear air leaking any other thing I should check?? By the way the engine runs great for a 13 year old motor no issues as far as running???all plugs was dry and compression ok @170lb.number #3 was 10lb. lower than #1#2#4 very frustrated any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 3.0GSPWTR Water in my oil

Did you drain the cooling system of water before the test. It may only leak slightly with water in it and cold. But drain the water out and try the test and it probably won't hold air at all.

CROWE

Cadet

I drain the cooling system of water. First the block and pumped it back up to 20lb.1lb every 4to5 min. then drain the manifold pump up to 20lb same 1lb every 4 to 5 min. the oil got in form some place.

CROWE

Cadet

maybe the engine needs to be at operating temperature then test again..

Bondo

Staff member

I drain the cooling system of water. First the block and pumped it back up to 20lb.1lb every 4to5 min.

Ayuh,... Did ya Listen to the sound of escaping Air,..??

Find the Sound, 'n you've found the problem....

CROWE

Cadet

it leaks so slow i cant hear it 4 to 5 min for 1lb of air to leak out maybe soapy water all over my engine,or pump more air psi. in engine???