1957 or 58 Elgin 7.5 HP ignition question

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 or 58 Elgin 7.5 HP ignition question

That is the coil you need, assuming you have the magneto in the article.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Your coil may be a bit different from the one shown on oddjob motors (one of my favorite sites for info). The field on your coil is probably riveted to the mag plate. I have two 12 Elgins of the same years; one 57 and one 58. No problem. Just slide the old coil off the field and the new OMC donor one on. You might add a little epoxy along with the metal tang to lock it in place. The fit is tight for flywheel clearance and you may need to grind off a little bit of the coil where the ignition wire connects. The wire may also be a slightly lesser diameter. No problem: Just use some epoxy. I've used OMC donors on a number of motors: Scott Atwater, Firestone, Chrysler, Elgin, etc. They do the trick. Good luck
v

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, Ive got a couple on the way, so we will see how it goes.

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the actual Coil Set

Attachments

• Coils Elgin.jpg
    Coils Elgin.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Those coils and fields and condensers look like they belong on a considerably older than 57 motor. Can you include a picture of the motor. I foresee one possible problem. As noted on 'oddjob motors' there are basically two different thicknesses (something like 7/16 and 5/8). The OMC coils will not fit on the thicker fields. On some of the motors with these thicker fields you can replace them (if you can find them) with the thinner field and the OMC donor coil. However, even among these some will not fit. I have an older 5 Elgin that I'm still looking for fields for. I managed to get a couple but they were too long and would not allow the flywheel back on. In fact I have a couple of motors for which I'm trying to find the right size field so I can complete them with an OMC coil. It's a mixed bag.

But, back to yours. It looks like these are riveted on. Hopefully they're not the thicker ones; I can't really tell. If so, probably the only way to resolve this would be to grind off the rivets and find the thinner fields and also the one's that will allow the flywheel back on. I haven't dealt with such a circumstance (yet).

Let me know what size you have and how you make out. Once again I think you have an older than 57 motor. Good luck

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

New OMC Coils Installed, still no spark...Im lost now, I checked gap in plugs and in points, not sure where to go from here:mad:

Attachments

• Coils Elgin.jpg
    Coils Elgin.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • coils-2.jpg
    coils-2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry you're having bad luck. Are the coils new or use(an addicd? They look used to me and if so they may be bad. Also, have you replaced the condensers? They're about $10 apiece. Also the ignition wires could be bad but having both bad is doubtful. Rarely have I replaced the original ignition wires. You're about to learn what just about everyone has experienced; outboards can drive you crazy and become an addictive money pit. But it becomes worthwhile when you actually see something mechanical running that probably has sat for 50 or so years and you may well be it's last hope. I'm happy to see that your field's were the right size to accept the OMC coil.

ps There are sites on-line that detail how to check coils and condensers. I don't have the equipment or know how for that. I usually go by basis of a visual or swapping parts from one of my good motors. There are some guys on here that really know how to test the electronics. Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

New OMC Coils Installed, still no spark...Im lost now, I checked gap in plugs and in points, not sure where to go from here:mad:

I'll bet you didn't clean the points, did you? Take them apart and individually polish each contact shiny bright and smooth, then reassemble. Be sure they pivot easy on the brass post with the very tinyest possible bit of lubrication. Same for the slider block that moves them. The points contacts must be absolutely, positively shiny bright CLEAN with no trace of any contamination. Don't feel bad, nobody seems to understand what clean means when it comes to points. A strip of 400 grit waterproof sandpaper backed up with an old hacksaw blade makes a good "file" to polish them.

Bad condensers are a possibility, but do first things first. Even bad condensers will usually provide SOME spark.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Take the advice of F_R. The points should really be the first thing gone over under the flywheel. Recently picked up a 25 Johnson that had no spark. After 'dressing' the points she fired right up. And that's not the first time.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

It is dangerous to doubt the F_R. I've had brandi-new points refuse to fire after a short run, until after everything else, I worked'em over, and the motor lit up again. Best I can guess, I got oil on'em, maybe just fingerprint oil, and it cooked right onto the contacts.

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

Cleaned up the points, still no fire, can someone send me a link to new plug wires?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

On occasion I've found the end of the ignition wires; where they connect to the metal coil inside the plug boot, to be a bit deteriorated. You might try to cut off a quarter inch or so and trim to make a new connection to the metal coil and this may do the trick. It's not often that even old ignition wires are still workable. They seem to be the least problem. If you want new one's you can probably find them at an older auto parts store or from an antique car restoration place where you can buy them by the foot. They are easy to check for continuity from the coil to the plug with a meter. I'm not good at checking out electrical components but even I can check the continuity of a wire from one end to the other. Shouldn't be a problem.

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

Update...I went back and cleaned all the connections, and points for a second time, and tonight I got the engine to backfire, which is awesome. But when the compression kicked in when it tried to crank, the pull start gear broke....so my question is, is there another engine that will fit the Elgin, or can I find that plastic gear somewhere else, also is there a way to pull start the engine without the gear??? Thanks for all the help, I am almost there...

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

The recoil units on these motors are a problem. The recoil on one of the two (57 and 58 12 hp Elgins) motors that I have crapped out years ago. I use a wrap around chord to start it. Only annoyance is you have to have the cover removed but it's no big thing. There should be a small round plate on top of the flywheel with two notches to wrap a chord around. The bottom of this plate has three 'dimples' that sit in the three small recess holes in the flywheel. Since the plate is not obvious to you it may be missing. I'd try to locate one (ebay) and forget about the problematic recoil.

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE:

Found a replacement gear made by Mercury that fits perfect, a little google and I found a new gear...shortly after I replaced the gear and rewound the recoil, the interior spring busted and now I have no pull start. I will take apart the unit shortly to see if I can fix that. I believe that this motor is not supposed to run, and this point the only work I want to put into this motor is to pick it up and throw it in the ocean.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

You can give up on the recoil and save that 'minor' problem for another day after the motor runs. It will save you a lot of aggravation. As for 'throwing it in the ocean;' I have at least a half dozen motors I'd like (toss) to see run that have their own problems I'm unable to solve or find parts for. I've put them away for a rainy day. What you have is basically a decent running motor that may take some time. Good luck!

M

mrcrabs

I want to put into this motor is to pick it up and throw it in the ocean
thats not a uncommon feeling but hang in there....try walking away for a month or so and then come back and fix it in 20 minutes:)

jkg2003

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE: I finally got her figured out, and this is a feat in itself, believe me I am so happy to have her running. The reason the engine wouldnt fire after cleaning the points, new plugs, new OMC coils, cutting the plug wires down to get to new wire, replacing the recoil gear with Mercury 13 tooth gear, fixing the recoil spring by just stretching out the spring a little and bending the end to replace the broken part, reset all gaps in points and plugs, was I HAD THE PLUG WIRES ON THE WRONG CYLINDERS, I know I know, that is a rookie mistake. Still havent got her dialed in yet, because when I put her in the water, she would never idol up. Again frustrated beyond belief, took the fly wheel off again and found the plug wire chewed up from the fly wheel, fixed that and that is where I am today....

M

mrcrabs

took the fly wheel off again and found the plug wire chewed up from the fly wheel,
I had a similar issue with a new $300. CDI once, Och!