Should I? (time sensitive)

Leaf1384

Seaman
Here goes, with you guys's blessing will probably pull the trigger on this one tomorrow. 1997 Sea Ray 190 Signature 5.7 Mercruiser. First the bad, 1. It is a 19 ft and my garage is only 22 ft deep (2 car and we dont park any vehicles in there so it will fit) 2. Original owner got a little too close to the decal on one side with a pressure washer, 3. Foam on steering wheel is cracked, 4. I am sure I will second guess myself everytime I put fuel in it. That is it for the bad. The good, 1. One owner, in which I have known and worked with for 8 plus years and would definitely disclose any flaws or shortcomings. 2. The most meticulously maintained boat (mechanical and interior I have ever seen the interior looks BRAND NEW! 3. 2 covers (one custom), bimini top, snap in carpet. 4. Trailer has new brakes,lines and cylinders, bearing buddies. 5. All guages, horn,tilt/trim EVERYTHING works. Ok enough rambling he was asking 8200, then went to 6500 I can buy it tomorrow for 5500.00? NOTE the blemishes (or so it appears in the blue part of gel coat are actually reflections)

Attachments

• DSCI0796[1].jpg
    DSCI0796[1].jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0805[1].jpg
    DSCI0805[1].jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0804.jpg
    DSCI0804.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0

BonairII

Commander
Re: Should I? (time sensitive)

I am sure I will second guess myself everytime I put fuel in it.

Are you referring to the fact that it's going to cost a lot to fill 'er up?

Nice looking boat. I have no idea what it's worth, though.

Leaf1384

Seaman

Not sure Bonairll, only had a 90 hp Johnson before, I figure this was gonna burn quite a bit of fuel, but I have no clue.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

knowing the owner is nothing.....

but knowing that the owner maticioulsy maintained the boat is everything.

at that price, it would be a no brainer in canada.....an easy purchase.

your area might be different.

the problems you describe are just minor repairs......maintinence if you want to put it that way.

check the price of 97 20 footers in your area on craigs list......if the price is even close.......buy the boat.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm always wary of "1 day only" or "buy it now prices" but if he has a good reason for wanting a quick sale and the boat checks out I'd go for it.

lukeb83

Seaman

well it looks and sounds like a mint boat. the boat has a n.a.d.a. guide value of 6900 - 7700, so i would say its a steal. if it was me i would have a marine survey done on the boat. it'd cost you around 5 or 6 hundred bucks but you would know for sure whats going on with it. im not saying that your friend wouldn't tell you if something was wrong with it, i'm saying that there might be something wrong with the boat that he is unaware of. good luck!!!

Leaf1384

Seaman

Thanks Cheetah, and I know exactly where your coming from, but like I mentioned this is a buddy and mentioned I could take it for the weekend before I make decision.
I'm always wary of "1 day only" or "buy it now prices" but if he has a good reason for wanting a quick sale and the boat checks out I'd go for it.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds good, Might want to check length, Your garage is 22'. With outdrive and trailer tongue its gonna be tight.

Maclin

Admiral

Seems really good. And after looking at the photos I would jokingly add "Very nice boat, too bad the owner had not ever used it..." :)

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO, yes I think you should, you know the owner maintained it, it is clean and looks like it has hardly been used, as for the fuel ask your mate what it cost him to run? I think its an awesome boat. best of luck mate :D

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I really think you should pass on it. Where is this rig located exactly? ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

Bring your tape measure and get the total length of the rig . . . a 19 foot boat on a trailer probably won't fit in a 22 foot garage.

The boat looks good and a 5.7 for a 19 foot boat is plenty of power.

Check NADA for pricing . . . I'm seeing $7300 as 'average retail' on NADA.com. So, even at $6500 it is a good deal.

Don't worry about the gas . . . with a boat like that you will easily get 3 MPG.

cribber

Lieutenant

I'd say pull the trigger and write the check for $5500. Sounds like he's in a bind and you both benefit. You get a really decent boat with little repair needs and he gets the cash that helps him out of his jam.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if nada is quoting 2k over asking price......and you have a seatryal weekend.....

drop yer sammich and run to buy it !

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That boat won't even come close to fitting in a 22' garage. It MIGHT barely fit in a 24' garage. Your only hope is to turn the boat at an angle, and that'll be a chore every time you bring her home with that tandem trailer.

My 19 footer only fit in my 24' garage after I cut out the drywall and made a "shed" in the back to fit the outdrive. It was a 2-car garage, but I had 2 single doors instead of a double door, so turning the boat was not an option.

lukeb83

Seaman

hell let you take it for the weekend??? well thats great! taker out and run it for a good few hours. if there are no issues i would certainly buy that boat if it were me. no survey needed!

cribber

Lieutenant

Not knowing where you are in central Florida... see if he'll take it out for a sea tryal like Oops suggests. Tomorrow the winds are supposed to kick up to 25 from the southwest. So try to start out from that shoreline or drop it in the Saint Johns for a couple of hours of fun if it's close by.

Leaf1384

Seaman

I appreciate all the advice, some of you really make me laugh!! I know it would never fit in the garage straight. We measured it today 24' with the lower unit trimmed all the way up so I figure we can shave a foot and a half with it all the way down, so will have to cant it a little. My thinking is I have looked at at least 500 boats in the last 3 days (Craigslist and boat trader) and have found nothing even close to as good as shape as this one, and buying it locally from a buddy gives me a little piece of mind too. So I think (sorry Airdvr1227) I think I will get it LOL. Please be patient in the future with my stupid questions and pleas for advice. Thanks again for all who provided advice.