1961 Evinrude 10 hp

ryanlane55

Cadet
Hey guys, I have been looking for a small outboard for my dads Jon boat.

Local Craigslist add has what I put in the title for 250. Guy says it has new rebuild and runs like a top. In the pics the motor looks to be in good shape, just faded paint.

I see how you all talk good things about this era evinrudes.

Good deal if it really is in great running condition? Probably could be had for 200 I would guess.

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1961 Evinrude 10 hp

Ryanlane, are you comfortable working on one of these old motors? If you are then I would assume you would have a reasonable ideal what to look for when you go look at this motor. If you can check the motor out, (run it on a boat would be best) run it in a tank of some type as a minimum and it seems to run OK then $200, maybe $250, would not sound too bad to me. If the owner will not find a way to or will not let you run it, I would walk away from it (he says it runs like a top so lets hear it). He said it has a new rebuild, what exactly does that entail, when was it done and why? If for example this is something that was done a couple of years ago, you most likely will need to or should replace the impeller and may have to go thru the carb especially if it has been left setting with gas in it. If he will not run it for you and you can work on it yourself, I would only offer around $100. I am relatively new at working/tinkering with these myself so I am sure I will be missing some points to look out for, but on the 10's of that era, it seems that the lower unit (foot) and connecting rods are the most mentioned problem area's, I am sure some of the other guys will check in and give more guidance. One thing for sure you have come to the right place to ask questions about these engines. Good luck, Bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1961 has the good connecting rods. Actually, it is the wrist pins that beat loose in the pistons. But the problem was fixed in '61.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's an antique, so buy it as an antique. Something that takes special care, work and may be unreliable. In other words, would you buy a 1961 Ford for a daily driver that you could rely on?

$250 for a small running motor is not a bad price, generally, but I'd look around for a "newer" 9.9. But an old one would be cool, if you are boating where paddling home is not a big deal. Busy lake in the summer, OK. Tidal marsh duck hunting, no. Take a set of oars.

Also a 10 might be an issue in an "under 10" lake although it would take a jerk of a fish cop to write you for that.

64osby

Admiral

1961 has the good connecting rods. Actually, it is the wrist pins that beat loose in the pistons. But the problem was fixed in '61.

F_R - Is there a way to determine if the wrist pins are bad in these motors, without tearing it down. Does the motor act differently, or is the compression affected. Was this only on the 10's.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

FR mentioned that the wrist pin problem was solved in 61 so you should be ok.
Compression is not affected.I sure would like to here it run in a barrel or on the water.
A run on muffs only indicates it runs.On the water could be comepletely different.
Ask what they did to it and why.
At the very least a compression check 100 psi and within 10% between cylinders. would be good.
If you want to feel sure you can theow it on a boat and go a barrel run at the very least.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

QD-22, 23 and 24 are really good engines. I like them better than the MQ series (9.5).

I would be inclined to run J4C plugs rather than the J6C, though each has been the recommended plug at different times.

I also find that healthy rope start outboards often compress as little as 70-80psi, depending on several variables. The important thing is the match, within 10%.

ryanlane55

Cadet

Thanks guys. Not sure if I am going to get it or not, just thought an older motor would be kind of cool.

robert graham

Admiral

It all has to depend on what you're planning to do with it, how far and how fast you gotta go. If you're just puttin' around the lake, some fishing, etc., it could be just what you need. I wouldn't want to count on it for 10 miles of wide open throttle way off down a river somewhere....it IS a 50 year old motor! Probably has a set of points under the flywheel that can be a weak spot! Good Luck!:)

lukeb83

Seaman

i had almost this exact motor on a 14' deep v aluminum. the motor needed some carb cleaning but other than that it ran very strong and i never had any issues with it. id say 200-250 is a fair price but when you make your offer dont start there. i just love these older evinrude motors, i also had one that was 40 hp. it ran like a top as well. as long as theyre well maintained they are solid motors. i used both ALOT prolly a few times a week for about two years for each motor. when i see "rebuilt" in ads it kinda scares me. i would inquire about exactly what was done to the motor and who did it. if he did it himself, and did sloppy work, your just buying a time bomb. if he says he had it done by a pro, ask to see the receipts for work done. if he says he didnt keep them, he prolly did it himself.

kfa4303

Banned

I used to have a little '61 QD-22, 10 hp. Great little motor. However, the clutch dogs are somewhat famous for wearing out, but other than that is was a bulletproof little engine with lots of power for its size. It could just barely get me up on plane in a small 14' boat. It started with half a pull and didn't eat too much gas. I would only pay $250 if it was absolutely tip top, otherwise you could probably find one for less than half that. 24:1 fuel mix, Champion J6C plugs and you're good to go. Here's a great little link that can walk you through an entire tune up of that little beast. You can get any parts you may need right here at iboats too.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/johnson_QD.htm

My old QD-22:

QD-22 side shot.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

F_R - Is there a way to determine if the wrist pins are bad in these motors, without tearing it down. Does the motor act differently, or is the compression affected. Was this only on the 10's.

You can tell by the sound if you know what you are listening for. They will make a clattering sound at slow idle. Klackity Klack. OR, you can pull the plugs, stick a screwdriver on the hole, and follow the piston down as you slowly rotate the flywheel. Just follow the piston, don't push. When the piston is about half way down, stop rotating the flywheel and give a light push on the screwdriver/piston. If it goes klack with noticeable movement, that is the loose pin. The more it moves, the looser it is. Repeat on other piston.

Some other motors will wear the bushing in the connecting rod, the 15hp from the 1950's, and the 25hp from same era are a couple. But not nearly the problem that the 10hp was

64osby

Admiral

F_R - Great information, Thank you. I'm working on a QD19 it has 90+ cold compression, saw the wrist pin issue post and wanted to find a way to see if there might be an issue. :)

Just tested mine and no klack. :D