New Doral Owner

Alex21

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums, just thought I would say hello to fellow Doral owners.

We bought a 27ft 1989 Doral Citation last month after the completion of a successful survey. I don't think spring can come fast enough. But it's nice getting ready for the upcoming season during the winter months. We already did some upholstery work. The surveyor only found 2 things wrong, a missing lamp shade in the cabin and a handle missing off of a hatch. I will post more pictures in the spring, after it comes out of storage.

What do you guys do before and after every season to keep your boat maintained?

Here's a pic of it...

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/doral27/?action=view&current=Boat.jpg

Camelot2

Cadet
Re: New Doral Owner

You made a good choice, the Citation is a solid entry level cruiser. We started with the Cavalier (24') then upgaded to a Doral 270 after 4 years, snd then to a Doral 310 last summer.

You'll find your Citation has tremendous storage, and has aged gracefully compared to other brands.

Good Luck.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hard to go wrong with a good Citation, '89's my favourite year for them too. Where will you be doing your boating?

Good Luck with your new Citation. My first post on the forum only joining a month or so ago. I picked up a Doral '98 350SC last season after owning a '90 25" Sea Ray Sundancer for 7 years. Probably the best brand decision I could have made. Could not be happier. I have been boating on Lake Wiinipesaukee in New Hampshire for about 25 years and have to say have not seen another Doral. Hope to be a regular contributor to the discussions. Going to try and upload a photo. Hope it works.

Attachments

• DSCN0404.jpg
    DSCN0404.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2

TRK81

Cadet

Congrats boat looks great. 1st full season with this boat will be this summer. As with former boats we inspect the bellows and have the water pump impeller changed every other year. Fuel filter as well as all oils and I carry extra belts. This season we will have bottom paint put on ,an extended swim deck so it's going to be an expensive year. Think we will really enjoy the Doral as it has better cabin than past searay. we are powered by a single 454 with bravo 3. Looked into extra props but the appear to be about $900 for pair, If we travel we may have to spend for backups.

Enjoy your new toy.

Bois

Cadet

I'm also a new owner of a 1989 Doral Monticello and I can't wait for the snow and ice to melt. Bought it last October and was able to use it one weekend, stayed overnight in it. I keep going over it with a fine tooth comb looking for potential problems but can only find routine maintenance things that have to be done. I'm very impressed with the construction and layout of this boat, every square inch has a purpose, nothing is wasted.
Doral boats are not common in Wisconsin for some reason, but everyone that has looked at it is very impressed. Finally bought something that's worthwhile.

Alex21

Cadet

Thanks for all the input everyone!!
I went to the boat show over the weekend and was asking about Dorals and I didn't hear one bad thing about them!

Tranquility@MVYC- That's a beautiful boat you have!
JBF 1962- I've been wondering what's different from the 89 Citations compared to other Citations?
Camelot2-Jelous of the 310 you've got there! Was your Cavalier the very first boat you owned?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

89's had fresh graphics, integrated bow pulpit, a transom gate and a new dash, '90 was basically unchanged, but they got rid of the teak aft rails in favour of all s/s

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome Alex.

I can understand your excitement. I actually look forward to working on the boat in the spring! I bought a 1989 Doral Cavalier in 2010. The major item I need to address is a few small blisters on the stern & do a barrier coat and bottom paint.
One thing I learned last summer.... In June of 2011, I would throttle up and have power, then lose it after about 4 seconds...I had my mechanic stumped with poor performance on the boat- we looked at the fuel filter, the sender..fuel quality...and finally found that it was the tiny carb filter. He took it out and showed me by trying to blow air through it...totally blocked. We replaced it, and then went for another test drive....Wow what a difference.. I had the awesome acceleration and top speed.

My point is, that I strongly suggest changing out your carb filter on a yearly basis. I plan to. It is an inexpensive part and easy to get to.

Bois

Cadet

Welcome Alex.

I can understand your excitement. I actually look forward to working on the boat in the spring! I bought a 1989 Doral Cavalier in 2010. The major item I need to address is a few small blisters on the stern & do a barrier coat and bottom paint.
One thing I learned last summer.... In June of 2011, I would throttle up and have power, then lose it after about 4 seconds...I had my mechanic stumped with poor performance on the boat- we looked at the fuel filter, the sender..fuel quality...and finally found that it was the tiny carb filter. He took it out and showed me by trying to blow air through it...totally blocked. We replaced it, and then went for another test drive....Wow what a difference.. I had the awesome acceleration and top speed.

My point is, that I strongly suggest changing out your carb filter on a yearly basis. I plan to. It is an inexpensive part and easy to get to.

Thanks for the tip Alex.

Alex21

Cadet

I think that tip was brought to you by klab010, Thanks Klab010!:)
I have a couple of questions,
Does anyone know what the floor is made out of in the cabin? Is it wood or fiberglass?

I was in the boat today and I noticed a section of the headliner had fell down about 1x1ft, does anyone know of an easy fix?

Do you guys store your boat for the winter with the windows open or closed? The surveyor told me to leave them open for the winter months to allow air circulation. The boat was stored outside on the east coast of Canada, and it's a Doral Citation I'm talking about.
I'd appreciate any help at all.
Thanks

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

a common problem is the cabin headliner dropping, here's what I saw someone do which looks kind of cool

9681bab_20.jpg

Alex21

Cadet

Yeah I like the way that looks, I like the dark wood. I wonder how hard it would be to do that?

I hope that it didn't fall because I stored it for the winter with the windows opened slightly.

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Guys . Funny you should mention this as i was at Home depot today looking at 3M 77. I was planning to do something like that with my boat after i had the spray adhesive sprayed. I have already cut a slit in the cieling to ge the can up inside to spray. if it takes, i was going to screw in a plastic strip about 3-4" wide x the leght of the slit to hide it. Not sure how deep the screws can go though. Have to test it.

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like it could be laminate flooring. It would be flexible to meet the contours and have a finish already on in. thanks for the idea JBF. Do you have your new boat yet?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

not yet, still looking, but boat owners are starting to stir with the warmer weather, only 2 more mothe until the docks go in at the PPYC so I need to find something soon. If you come across anything, I'd be glad to hear of it :)

xEclipse

Recruit

I like the look of that headliner mod as well. Any idea of the length of the screws used?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I so love Citations, actually tomorrow, I'm going to see a 26' Thundercraft Magnum Express that I'm pretty excited about, if its as sweet as I'm hoping and I decide to buy it, I'll post pics when I get home...

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I so love Citations, actually tomorrow, I'm going to see a 26' Thundercraft Magnum Express that I'm pretty excited about, if its as sweet as I'm hoping and I decide to buy it, I'll post pics when I get home...

Sounds good Man! good luck with the negotiation. Pretty sure its a buyers market....