1970 Merc 110 9.8 wiring HELP!!

Wisner1

Cadet
I'm normally a johnson man, but i got a deal i couldnt refuse on an old barn find merc 110. The motor looks like a dream on the outside, and believing that it was the same on the inside, i bought it. Opened it up and looks like corrosion dry rot and a couple rats have set inside for god knows how long. Does anyone know where to find a 1970 wiring diagram? also, what wire would be appropriate to rewire it with? plug wires are fine though. If anyone has parts, a book, or expertise on it, please let me know.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1970 Merc 110 9.8 wiring HELP!!

Just finished doing one like yours. Are most all the wires in real sad shape? You might have to spend more than you want to fix it if the wires are bad going to the stator . Best to pull the flywheel and see just how bad they are. Points are fairly expensive also. Coils will probbly be good. carb will need to be worked on. The wires will be the hard part as they are very hard to find in the scorrect size and resistance on the stator and points, but best to order new in the long run. Your looking at around $500 to do the job right. best to check prices out first for everything needed. Check the compresion to see if it is wirth it first off as if it could be bad.
Oldman570

Wisner1

Cadet

Just finished doing one like yours. Are most all the wires in real sad shape? You might have to spend more than you want to fix it if the wires are bad going to the stator . Best to pull the flywheel and see just how bad they are. Points are fairly expensive also. Coils will probbly be good. carb will need to be worked on. The wires will be the hard part as they are very hard to find in the scorrect size and resistance on the stator and points, but best to order new in the long run. Your looking at around $500 to do the job right. best to check prices out first for everything needed. Check the compresion to see if it is wirth it first off as if it could be bad.
Oldman570

Thanks for the reply, i plan to do it myself so it shouldn't cost too much. pulled flywheel, and it looks to have an electric start stator on a pull start?? but stator wires are fine. pulled it, and whatever the thing below it is called has bad wiring. Thinking i can fix that though. Coil packs were properly greased and covered so they should be alright. What did you go by to replace yours? if you have pictures or something, or a manual? I need to fix this motor, badly. As of now, i am stuck with an old johnson 6hp for my 16' fiberglass.

Laddies

Banned

4.jpg

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

********** is where I found most everything I needed for the wireing. If the brown and white wires are bad going to the points best to just buy them along with the insulater block that holds them where they go throught the plate. Those will give you big trouble if bad and not replaced with new ones as the insulation on them is old an will short fireing of the plugs. I'll PM you my number .

Oldman570

Wisner1

Cadet

Thanks, but i hardly have time to get on this website haha. Where did you order the points and insulator blocks from, and all the wiring has been removed or chewed through, so i have no idea what goes to what, but i will attempt to rewire it according to the 20hp wiring diagram.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The diagram that Laddies replyed with is the one for your motor. Check your PM's
Oldman570

dazk14

Ensign

Best to start by pressure testing the lower unit...

Wisner1

Cadet

The diagram laddies replied with is for the 200 electric start. I have the 110 pull start. i cannot find the diagram anywhere. all local marine mechanics deal with johnyrudes. Only local mercury dealer has no parts, they have only dealt with mercs for 4 years. Lower unit seems fine, im not sure how to pressure test, but i have found a man with a similar 110, which im gonna buy for 100. Should have her running soon, with any luck. :D

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The wireing will be the same as the diagram with the exception of the starter, ing.sw. and selinoid. Just look at it from the small term block where the salmon wire from the stator, and use the dotted wires in the diagram for a manual start motor.
Oldman570

I too am working on a 9.8 with wiring issues. The diagram Laddies sent is almost exactly what I need, but wondering where the black (dotted line) wire originating on the stator terminates on a pull start model? Thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The salmon wire and other kill switch, stop button, go into the stator, coil, mounted on the stator plate. They creat the DC elecrtic that makes the motor run. When the kill switch is shorted to ground, the block, it stops the flow of electricy and causes the motor to stop running. The diagram shows a laynard kill switch that is the man overboard kill switch on some motors so equipeted. That wire is the black wire comming out of the stator, coil, on the motor.
Oldman570

Wisner1

Cadet

I will have the other motor within the week, i can send pics of the wiring setup. Only reason i am having troublue with this is there are no wires at all on most parts, someone very smart already removed all of them. :/

So, the black wire from the stator needs to be attached to the terminal block, correct?

Or should it go to the kill switch? It has had a new kill switch installed with new wiring that goes elsewhere. Could they have done this to keep from using the stator wire?

scl009

Cadet

I just rewired a 73 110. I can provide some pics if y'all want, but im new here and haven't figured out how to post them yet. The only thing I may have trouble with in the future is the insulator blocks. I ended up soldering new wire to the stubble that was left on them. Where did y'all buy new insulator blocks?

Scott

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The black wire needs to go to ground on the block,the salmon has to go to the kill button. Man over board needs one wire to ground and other to the salmon, along with normal kill buton. Term. block has one screw that goes to the block and one that is insulated for use of a connecting point for the kill button and salmon wire from the stator.Simply put balck to block ground ,salmon to kill switch.
Oldman570

Laddies

Banned

It's hard to believe all of this about a simple 2 cyl. wiring diagram and I have tried to stay out of it. A photo of a 1973 won't help as it is a different system, about the only thing in common are the points. The part number for the insulator blocks is 994-3981 from CDI