good engine or not?

engine.mech

Recruit
Hey guys... New to site and first post here.

My dad threw out his shoulder and needed an electric start engine for his fishing boat (currently has an 80's Merc 20HP unsure of model number) and I stumbled across a Yamaha 2003 25HP 4cycle (think model is #25ELH). The owner said it had an oil leak that led the engine to be run short on oil or without oil. He said it got overheated and believes that somthing might have warped and caused the oil leak. He also said it still runs and turns over but they shut it down and put a new motor on the boat. He said the lower is all good and it just needs the engine work done...

I don't know much about boat motors. Which ones are good, which are lemons, which are easy to work on, what parts this motor might need, machining it might need??? Just need some opinions on if this is a good reliable motor and what my parts list/cost might look like for a rebuild???

Just a little back ground... I've done plenty of mower, go cart, small block ford, and 2cycle chainsaw work. Including complete rebuilds on all of them. Small engine work doesn't scare me at all; just something new to learn! Plus my neighbor is a small engine mech and can help if I need it.

Let me know what you all think!
Nathan

PS: what would you be will to drop on this motor? I see new ones cost $3000ish...???

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: good engine or not?

Hi ,
If I were you I would ask an outboard mechanic about the engine. These were supposed to be a good motor. Call discount marine parts at 1-906-466-2180 and tell them what the yamaha owner told you and see what they think. They have always answered my questions. Crowley Marine online is also great about answering questions. Good luck John

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forum,
I have a 2005 Yami 25hp- mdl# TLRD which is a elec. start, remote(703-controls) only, power tilt&trim, long shaft.
It has performed well for me in the last three seasons since i bought it used.
With regular maintence(plugs, lu/gear oil, engine oil, water pump replacement) this motor should last you a lifetime.
Some what easy to work on these maintence items but never worked on that kind of oil leak.
Your going to need a good service manual and devout some time to fix that oil leak problem.

If i were to buy it i would try to get it on the cheap($500-700) The person selling may just want to get rid of it and go for a low offer.
Gd. luck

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is I would not buy a motor that was overheated causing an oil leak and then run until it ran out of oil.
Overheat and lack of oil can destroy most parts of the power head. If you are willing to possibly replace the complete power head then have at it.

engine.mech

Recruit

Sounds like it's going to cost more than its worth

I was trying to get a feeling for the motor before I bought it... The guy said he'd take $400 for it... unfortunatly I think its made for a forward steer boat and our boat is just a rear steer $1500 fishing boat. So it might not matter if we can't use it... thanks for the help guys. I might go over to the Merc thread and see what it will take to convert my dads current motor over to electric start...

engine.mech

Recruit

Hi ,
If I were you I would ask an outboard mechanic about the engine. These were supposed to be a good motor. Call discount marine parts at 1-906-466-2180 and tell them what the yamaha owner told you and see what they think. They have always answered my questions. Crowley Marine online is also great about answering questions. Good luck John

ok so I just found out it is a tiller motor so I called the number above and they can't get Yamaha parts... I was basicaly rushed off the phone and told to go to my local dealer... I live in Iowa and don't happen to have a local dealer so that is no help what so ever!

Anyone else got a good contact for Yamaha info?