kicker motor size???

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 88 bayliner 15ft capri with 50 hp. I fish the salt and troll quite a bit. When I troll I have to drag a bucket to get down to speed. I would like a kicker for trolling to save gas and to prevent the load up on the 50hp(it does not like trolling for any length of time), also would be great piece of mind for crawling back in, if the 50hp has any problems. My question is what size (hp) should I be looking for. I have been watching for deals on o/bs from 3hp to 15hp. I don't want to get something and have regrets, so I thought I would see what opinions are out there. pros and cons ect.:confused:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: kicker motor size???

Most any size in that range will work, just don't buy a small single cylinder model, they tend to be noisy and vibrate a great deal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Agree completely. I have a 4HP twin cylinder Evinrude that would be a gem of a kicker for that boat. We also briefly had a single cylinder Merc 5HP and it was noisy and shaky just as ondarvr said.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

on a boat that small you don't need an OB kicker. At most, get an electric troller, and get the advantage of the quiet as well as cost savings.

You will never pay for a small outboard from gas savings from not trolling with a 50.

However, you ought to be able to troll with the 50 on a 15' boat. Maybe you need to turn down the idle or otherwise get it adjusted. Maybe running too rich. Or drift.

Take a bnreak from trolling and run the motor to burn off the carbon.

cyclops2

Banned

A 15 ' boat might not like the extra weight on the stern. In rough water.

You can buy a 5 year supply of spark plugs and a up / down trolling plate for the price of a 2nd motor. Have a GREAT OB mechanic adjust your motors idle mixture & speed ON THE WATER with the trolling plate down.

Depending on the sparkplug company. You can broaden your heatranges a lot. There are alot of different types for odd ball needs. I spent about 2 hours surfing & reading about each companies plugs just for emergency generators.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This seems to be a reoccurring question here (and always has been) "what size kicker", those that don't fish in any way shape or form in the same manner as the person asking the question respond with answers that really don't fit the need. YES kickers are needed for fishing in this part of the world for the type of fishing we do and where we do it, not electrics, not dragging buckets, not using the main motor (although at times it does work), not drifting, etc. 99% of the fishing boats here have kickers...why...because it works better than anything else...period. A 15 foot boat like this can handle a small kicker easily.

cyclops2

Banned

We All love it when our advice / suggestions are able to push some one to make a firm decision.
Enjoy the kicker.

I rarely use both the 30 Hp & the 9.9 hp on my Lowe 16' aluminum shortshaft. I understand what the 2 motors can do if needed. I always had to take a 125 to 150 pound person in the bow for trimming the hull level. I have 2 high capacity bilge pumps in the hull. Used them a couple of times.

WN2712NJ

Seaman

This seems to be a reoccurring question here (and always has been) "what size kicker", those that don't fish in any way shape or form in the same manner as the person asking the question respond with answers that really don't fit the need. YES kickers are needed for fishing in this part of the world for the type of fishing we do and where we do it, not electrics, not dragging buckets, not using the main motor (although at times it does work), not drifting, etc. 99% of the fishing boats here have kickers...why...because it works better than anything else...period. A 15 foot boat like this can handle a small kicker easily.

Yup, the use of kickers is pretty much standard for fishing on Puget Sound, unless maybe you've got a new 4 stroke. And even a lot of those have kickers. I would recommend a 2 cylinder, as others have noted the single cylinder 4 strokes are really bad on vibration. For that size of boat you could go with something pretty old and cheap - like the old Evinrude "Lighttwin", which was manufactured by OMC under both Johnson and Evinrude badges for many decades. These motors were in the 3-4HP range, very light and stone simple. With an integral gas tank you've got a backup fuel source to go with your backup engine. A modern 2 cylinder 4 stroke is going to weight in at around 100 pounds or more, vs less than 30 for the lighttwin. That could be an issue hanging off the back end of your boat, you definitely don't want to sink the stern too much.

-dm

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

what's interesting is that kickers are seldom used in the chesapeake bay and Eastern Shore, a similar salt-water environment. You would think that boating customs would be similar, too.

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They must have a lot of faith in God and their engines in those parts. I wouldn't leave the dock without a kicker. I haven't needed it to get back yet, but that day must be coming.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I boated for 6 years with a 15 footer without a kicker. Hit the bottom once and wished I had one.

Then put on an OB that I already had (10), and it was too big. Kept it on for 2 years, then bought a brand new smaller one (6) that was just right. Sold the boat 7 years later after running hundreds of hours with that 1978 Johnson 6.

The new 19' boat was equipped with a kicker (9.9) before it ever hit the water. In the first year the little guy got me home twice due to Mercruiser breakdowns (covered by warranty). Since then she has put on over 600 hours trolling. Typically 1.9 mph. With a spark plug and prop change I can run for hours with no plug fouling.

Short story long - a 2 cyl 2-cycle OMC 6 HP kicker would do everything you want and more on that 15 footer.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Frequently the trolling done here is significantly slower than in other parts of the country for salt water fish, and since the water can be rather big, an electric can be a little anemic. This results in the main motor not being able to go slow enough and an electric not being able to handle the wind and waves, the gas kicker fills the gap well.

In other areas, like on the Columbia river, not having some type of backup motor can be deadly. Fast currents, lots of commercial traffic, anchored ships, bridges, pilings, etc, leaves no time for calling Sea Tow or waiting for a passing boat to offer help if the main motor has problems. Much of Puget Sound is the same, with currents and such.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I guess part of the difference, then, is your deep water/rocky bottom making anchoring in an emergency uncertain, b/c we also have currents and ships. here, it's relatively shallow and sandy, so we have that safety net. And here, for that reason, the anchor is the #1 most important safety equipment.

But we do put faith in our single motors and we are also resourceful when they do fail, from shove pole to seatow. Except in a wilderness situation (including way offshore) I think carrying a spare motor for back-up for break-downs is misplaced, especially on a small boat. I understand the fishing part, or it you already have a small motor lying around. Otherwise I see no need on a small boat in most populated waters, any more than carrying a life raft.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I see the difference as in what the goal in being on a boat is, I am on boats because I fish and it's a tool to get to where the fish are, so the boat is set up to fish. The kicker is just another tool in the box, it also works as a backup motor, but the primary function is to troll.

If all I did was cruise around, the kicker would be an added cost and rarely, if ever, used. The way it is now the big motor is run for 15 to 20 minutes a day and the small motor runs for 10 hours. If I fished differently, or in different places for different fish, the kicker may be of little value. If a person doesn't live and fish here it may be difficult for them to understand how important the kicker is, it can be the key to being successful.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I understand and agree with the kicker as a fishing tool. A friend here loves his salt water remote control trolling motor (on a 22' boat) and with it caught the world record striper on a fly rod.

There have been times here when someone new to boating thought a kicker was a necessary back-up--like an extra battery, or safety device, like PFD's. That's why I say, fishing and waterfalls excluded, they aren't necessary and often don't make sense.

ETA the Niagra exception

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

There have been times here when someone new to boating thought a kicker was a necessary back-up.

Lots of things aren't really "necessary". Who's to say what is?

I boat in the Niagara River, above Niagara falls. One of the better fishing spots is within sight of the rising mist.

As a "new" boater I didn't consider a kicker. It wasn't until I had a problem that I knew what was necessary.

I never neded a tow due to my own fault. The only time I ever broke down was because of engine part failure on a brand new Mercruiser.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

They must have a lot of faith in God and their engines in those parts. I wouldn't leave the dock without a kicker. I haven't needed it to get back yet, but that day must be coming.

Hahahaha, darn right Steve!

Good time I had asked the same question a month or two ago. Since then I have bought 2 motors at awesome prices I might add. #1 a 1969 Evinrude Yachtwin, 2 cylinder 4hp. This motor is quiet, weighs 30-35lbs. and trolls like a dream. It has plenty of power to get my 16' Starcraft moving at WOT. 2 cylinders are so smooth. Only drawback is it has one single gear, but I sacrificed the gear selection for weight #2 is a 1977 Mercury 4.5hp single cylinder. This motor is way heavier but does have F-N-R. It also vibrates a ton more, and honestly down at an idle, I might as well troll with my Merc 65, cause it is just as noisy. But it is a great backup motor, and matches my main setup. #3 is a Johnson 9.9 that I have had for a few years. Only drawbacks with her is she weighs about 72lbs. and doesn't troll quite as slowly as I'd like in fear of waterflow restrictions as well as plug fouling, but is quiet and has lots of power if I ever need it.

Depends on what you are looking for but these have been my experiences.....