Gear Ratios

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible to change ratio in an MC1 outdrive from a 1.82 to 1.5

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gear Ratios

Ayuh,... Sure.... The price of just the Oem gears is 'bout what a new SEI goes for though...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Is it possible to change ratio in an MC1 outdrive from a 1.82 to 1.5

No, because 1.82:1 was never made. It could be a 1.65, 1.84 or a 1.98, but not a 1.82... If it is one of the others it is a 'simple' job to replace the top gear set with a 1.50:1 set. I say 'simple' because there are a few special tools you need. You'll need a press and a desent torque wrench and a small scale torque indicator. Once you get the drive opened up and start looking at the condition of the gears and bearings you may need new ones of those too, and I would definitely be putting all new seals in. Also a good understanding of what you're doing. What is the year (or serial number) of the drive you want to change and I can point you at the right GENUINE service manual which outlines the procedure...

It may even be cheaper to just buy an SEI top box with the right gears already in. The gear set alone is about $400. Then add the tools and seals... A new top box from SEI is $645....

Chris..........

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, because 1.82:1 was never made. It could be a 1.65, 1.84 or a 1.98, but not a 1.82... If it is one of the others it is a 'simple' job to replace the top gear set with a 1.50:1 set. I say 'simple' because there are a few special tools you need. You'll need a press and a desent torque wrench and a small scale torque indicator. Once you get the drive opened up and start looking at the condition of the gears and bearings you may need new ones of those too, and I would definitely be putting all new seals in. Also a good understanding of what you're doing. What is the year (or serial number) of the drive you want to change and I can point you at the right GENUINE service manual which outlines the procedure...

It may even be cheaper to just buy an SEI top box with the right gears already in. The gear set alone is about $400. Then add the tools and seals... A new top box from SEI is $645....

Chris..........
Sorry about that Chris,I meant to say 1.84 it came of a blown 470,is the $645.00 price in the US or Oz,I will post the serial no tomorrow when i go to the workshop

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Sorry about that Chris,I meant to say 1.84 it came of a blown 470,is the $645.00 price in the US or Oz,I will post the serial no tomorrow when i go to the workshop

Yeah, sorry Mike, those prices are US prices, I didn't look at your location :facepalm:... Expect to be ripped off to the tune of about triple here... :mad:

Chris..........