OMC Stringer Select Trim

southkogs

Staff member
Short version: Anyone happen to know the model #/ part # for a OMC select trim electric motor? Inline 6 cyl. 165HP Electric shift. I can't find the bloomin' ID anywhere.

Long version: I had the boat looked at early last summer by a local marine guy who said he'd worked on OMC in the past. Dude had the boat for nearly six weeks and wound up not getting anywhere. Got the boat back pretty much more broke than when I dropped it off (growl) and fixed it myself.

Power tilt was working when I dropped it off to Mr. Goodwrench ... not working when I picked it up. So, since I gotta' fix that I thought while I'm pulling one motor I'll pull the other. I'm going to take the tilt motor to get looked at ... I'm not sure what's going on there, but think it's fixable. The trim motor might be able to be rescued ... but it's pretty nasty inside. I don't know enough about 'em to tell if it's going to survive and wanted to see how much new ones were.

Thanks y'all.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC Stringer Select Trim

Y'know ... eventually, I'm just going to title my posts "Howard, I need some more help please..."

Thank you very much.

southkogs

Staff member

Yeeeoooouch!! Just looked at prices for new/replacement motors! :eek: Like I said, I'll have the "rebuild" dude give it a look. If that goes bad ... eBay, here I come!

If I leave the trim motor off, will the engine hold position at WOT? Or will the pressure push that jack screw up/down?

southkogs

Staff member

I suspect you are joking, but always best to leave threads wide open.

You are correct and I will. I'm pretty sure I see you on other boards I lurk at as well. That's a lot of advice, brother. I appreciate all of the time and expertise so freely given.

southkogs

Staff member

Good news!! The motor was able to be re-built (can't believe it with the shape it was in) and I have SelectTrim again!! Boy is that grease fitting a booger to get to :eek:

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assume you had to disconnect your hydraulic lines for the select trim. Can you shed some light on the location of the reservoir fill and how to bleed the air out? :)

southkogs

Staff member

Not the same type of system, Sham. The ole' Stringer (mine's a 1972) works off an electric motor driving a jack screw. No hydraulics or reservoirs like (I'm assuming) on the Cobras.