Propane outboards

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Lehr has introduced 2 new 4 strokes up to 5 HP small portable motors which uses propane for combustion, has small internal disposable, and external connection for larger house type tanks. Assume big round tanks will have ballance issues inside boat if not properly secured compared to flat bottom gasoline tanks.

Some of their stated advantages are :

-Cheaper fuel.
-Cleaner combustion than gasoline.
-Forget about Ethanol general related problems.
-No choque no prime needed, perfect cold starts.

A dual gasoline/propane would have been more to my taste. How do you like this "ecological" development ?

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Lehr-1.JPG
    Lehr-1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Lehr-2.JPG
    Lehr-2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Propane outboards

I'll buy one when they plumb the exhaust into the top cowl and slap a hibachi grate on top... :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I really like that idea. Recently someone posted info about a propane powered 2 stroke and a pic.

I wonder how they lubricate it.

robert graham

Admiral

There may be more of these propane outboards in the future for certain applications. I know it's very clean burning and seems like a viable alternative for small lakes and rivers. I wonder how long a 5HP Outboard would run on a $18 gas grill-sized propane tank? With gasoline prices continuing to rise I expect other alternatives will begin to appear as they become more financially viable. There may even become propane conversion kits for outboard motors. I know a lot of our busses and city vehicles are now propane powered and there's some real advantages regarding less exhaust fumes and less engine maintenance. Good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

I really like that idea. Recently someone posted info about a propane powered 2 stroke and a pic.

I wonder how they lubricate it.
I guess the 2 strokes would have some type of oil injection for bearings and cylinders, but it seems like the propane might be better for 4 stroke motors because of the lubrication issue? When gas gets up around $5/gallon it may drive some new ideas in fuels. I really like the old African Queen wood-fired boiler rig...no carbon, no stuck rings, just cut some wood and go boating!;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

interesting. I think a lot will depend on how far you get on a tank, since refueling them is a pain and spares are big. Might be a good application for that kicker or a small sailboat, but if you have to carry a standard "grill tank" or two in a boat small enough to be powered by a 5hp, I think the utility overall isn't there.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My analysis showed that propane and gasoline motors cost about the same amount to run. If gasoline goes up in price and propane does not, then a propane motor will be cheaper to run, or vice-versa. A 20 LB propane tank lasted about the same amount of time as 5 gal gasoline, in a comparable motor. Both are just under $20, at the current time.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back in UK where gas is $10 a gallon lpg conversions became popular for larger engines cars, the tank can be shaped to fit in the spare wheel well. The lpg was $1.40 a gallon until it became more popular then it tripled within 12 months. The limousine company i worked for converted 4 town cars, a 300c, 3 h2's and an excursion so I have thought of an lpg conversion for my boat but i didnt think it would get CG approval.

wouldn't cold start on lpg, they had to be warmed on gas then automatically switched over

P.S my point before price rant was that the tanks can be shaped to fit

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Back in UK where gas is $10 a gallon

Ouch!! wer'e being highly taxed state robbed at $6.00 for 97 octane unleaded E-8 gallon gasoline, but paying $10 is out of this world prices. I'm seriously thinking moving to Venezuela where you can fill a 20 gal car tank under $ 10.00.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I looked at them at Miami. Chinese frame which is a huge drawback, but it has possibilities. We are adding them to our lineup as soon as they figure out what they are doing from a marketing standpoint. They will be sold through mass merchandisers with backup through a network of service/sales dealers. I love the idea of the small camper grill tanks. The sail boaters will probably flock to buy them since the idea of storing fuel is anathema to them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The one issue with propane is that it is heavier than air. Fumes will settle into the bilge and go boom, if not properly ventilated. Natural gas is lighter than air, so there is no issue.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The one issue with propane is that it is heavier than air. Fumes will settle into the bilge and go boom, if not properly ventilated. Natural gas is lighter than air, so there is no issue.

Those propane engines must be bullet proof, has same gas pumps as seen on cars and all gas related parts must be state of the art sealed or see ya in hell or heaven...

Happy Boating

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Hmmm, and I thought carrying a gas tank was already dangerous enough.....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

These motors are 4 strokes.

"cleaner combustion", maybe.

Cheaper, not really. Certainly not on a btu comparison of the fuels.

Propane is made as part of the oil refining process used to make gasoline. So there will always be a a price correlation.

Actually, if gasoline production would go down, and propane consumption/demand would go up, I suspect the price of propane would rise.

It has certainly gone up almost 3 fold in the last 12 years.

I love their "low maintenance" claim.
It still has a gearcase, it still has a water pump, it still needs its oil changed.

Info is real sketchy and vague on their website.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just noticed that iboats will begin offering these in 2.5 and 5 hp flavors starting on 4/1/12. Maybe ;)

halfmoa

Ensign

These motors are 4 strokes.

"cleaner combustion", maybe.

Cheaper, not really. Certainly not on a btu comparison of the fuels.

Propane is made as part of the oil refining process used to make gasoline. So there will always be a a price correlation.

Actually, if gasoline production would go down, and propane consumption/demand would go up, I suspect the price of propane would rise.

It has certainly gone up almost 3 fold in the last 12 years.

I love their "low maintenance" claim.
It still has a gearcase, it still has a water pump, it still needs its oil changed.

Info is real sketchy and vague on their website.

I converted a 5hp briggs engine to propane for my top speed lawnmower quest. I went to change the oil after about 40hrs of hard, HARD use and the oil looked brand spanking new. So new I put it back in. I asked the old timer at the propane filling station about the cleanliness of propane and why my oil looked perfect. We went over to his propane powered truck and he pulled the dipstick. Brand spankin' new. Then he showed me the sticker on his windshield from 6 months earlier when his oil was last changed. Propane burns much cleaner than gasoline and is in fact a lower maintainence engine to run.