2001 Johnson 150 - HELP shimming the driveshaft / pinion bearing assembly

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice
ok guys - I read up on my manual for the procedure to shim my driveshaft, since Boobie tells me I need to since I'm replacing the pinion and forward gear on my subject motor. It says I need special tools called a " guage collar" and a "shim guage kit" )OMC part #'s not listed here) to determine the right # and thickness of the shims. I understand how the guage collar tool work(putting the d/s bearing carrier and pinion gear w/ nut, under pressure, but I don't understand what I'm using the "guage bar" (which for my engine is 0.020 inch(20 hundreths of an inch if I read that right) to measure. I know you use it so see if the pinion gear is sitting squarely on the end of the drive shaft, but I',m bit lost in understanding what I'm measureing on the other end by the d/s bearing carrier??? and what I'm subtracting or adding to determine what size shims I need to use??
PS _I think I can make a jig that can put the d/s unit under pressure to do the measuring w/o buying the special tool and I have a set of thickness guages that I can use for the "guage bar"
Thanks again for your help and thots....

Re: 2001 Johnson 150 - HELP shimming the driveshaft / pinion bearing assembly

If you dont have the tools and have never done it before? I would suggest taking it to a brp service center and asking if they could fiqure the shims for you. Not sure how many hours labor they would charge. You should be able to put the rest together by yourself.

This would probably be cheaper since you would have to buy the tools for your one time use.

clanton

Rear Admiral

There is poster here that has made a set of these shim guages. Search shimming tool. should see my reply along with his post.

The guage you need is about 6 inches long. OEM manual will give you tool number for your engine. Gauge is a specfied length. The measurement is between the bearing housing and pinion gear + 0.20. The poster I speak of has the length of the gauges with tool number.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks - will check out post.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I tried search could not find his post.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks boobie and clanton - did the 100 mile drive down down the shore to a certified omc dealer/marina and dropped off the d/s , bearing/housing and pinion gear/nut off at their shop. They said it may take up to 2 weeks to get it back, and about an hour labor(figuing a~$100/hour) plus parts(shims - if needed). From the posts on "shimming tool" I found, I figured it was better to have a real mech do the shimming, then a shadetree mechanic like me. Will let you now how it goes - Thanks again guys!! I'm sure Ill come up w/ a few more questions when I get it back from them.....