merc 125 decarbing

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
well, gave it a shot today, i ordered some merc quickleen, and tried it as per the directions, i ran the motor on the muffs till warm, then used the can till almost empty then fogged all the carbs as best i could till it died, then i sprayed what was left into each cylinder, and with the plugs out, cranked it once to coat the inside. i let it sit for an hour, cleaned the plugs, and fired her up. smoke wasnt wat i was expecting, quite a bit, but not rediculous. i reved it and idled it till the smoke started to clear, and deff noticed a smoother idle.

the only question i have is ive been applied to a school through my job and wont be back till the second week in march, it it ok to let the motor sit, with some of this stuff probly still in it, for 2-3 weeks till i can take it out on the bay and run the rest out under load? is it possible to (over clean) the carbs/cylinders? will the quick clean take the (oil film off the internals) should i be worried?

edit: this its called POWER TUNE not the liquid, its a black aerosol can

merc850

Commander
Re: merc 125 decarbing

I use it all the time in car and boat - lawnmower etc. it also degreases well, I don't think it will cause oil film loss because you have run the engine which puts more oil into it. When you launch run engine at 5000 rpms for 5 min, that will remove carbon from pistons.

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

i plan on launching it in a few weeks and that was the plan, it been in a heated garage all winter, its got a 1/4 tank of 93oct, stabil, and quick kleen, so its a mixture of a whole bunch of crap i wanna run out before i fuel up with fresh stuff. i figure the (super clean concentrate) will clean out what ever is in there, rather than topping of the 80 gallon tank and diluting it all

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If your worried use fogging oil to coat the cylinders.
Do a fog like your gonna set it up for the winter.
That way the INTERNALS are covered in oil.J