Chris Craft Scorpion 230 Good Bad?

millerz28

Cadet
Looking at Scorpion 230 current owner says engine completly rebuilt, all needs is cleaning and batteries, has sat winterized for 2 years inside. What problem areas should I look at or just steer clear of the boat comletly have heard mid 80s chris crafts had hull problems.
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Chris Craft Scorpion 230 Good Bad?

Looking at Scorpion 230 current owner says engine completly rebuilt, all needs is cleaning and batteries, has sat winterized for 2 years inside. What problem areas should I look at or just steer clear of the boat comletly have heard mid 80s chris crafts had hull problems.
Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... It depends alot on the driveline in it....

Many were equiped with OMCs, some with Volvos, 'n occasionally Mercs....

If it's OMC,... Ya Don't want it, no matter the price....

millerz28

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... It depends alot on the driveline in it....

Many were equiped with OMCs, some with Volvos, 'n occasionally Mercs....

If it's OMC,... Ya Don't want it, no matter the price....

Owner says merc, has a 350 in it. Motor rebuilt, new manifolds. 2 hour drive to go look at it, just trying to see if its even worth the drive. Boat and trailer $3200. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For that price, it sounds worth a look. The Scorpions I've seen have been really sharp boats.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I lived in the US Virgin Islands, A friend of mine had a 23' CC Scorpion and is was a real nice boat with zero problems. Had the Merc Alpha w/ a 350 SB in it and went along nice.

I would have bought one because I liked his so much, but liked the Chaparral SX's a little better and went that way instead.

Scorpion210

Seaman

I have a 21' with a mid-engine. The engine location makes it great in rough water and really opens up the floor plan. However, I have not seen many with the mid engine. I think these were mainly made when they were owned by Grew Canada

chriscraft254

Commander

Post up the listing so we can give you better opinions. Pictures speak a thousand words. Also the way the seller speaks and lists it can say alot.

The Mid 80's Chris Crafts you were referring to with hull problems were rare, but there were some. They were straightline cracks along the stringers. I would say that any that were bad have long since been sunk because they were very bad from my understanding. It was also specific models, don't recall which ones. I believe they were only on the 21 footers.

Look at any manufacturer out there and you will more than likely find that they had some issues along the way. The early 80's were when they had issues.

The scorpions hull is a great hull, they ride great. Do a search here and you will find a many a thread on what to look for when purchasing a used boat.

millerz28

Cadet

Thanks all bought the boat for $3000 on trailer needs a good cleaning and some batteries to start. Hull looked good drive looks fairly corroded, interior for the most part looks clean, guy had over $5000 in receipts for new engine water pump ect wish me luck

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

if the motor is good+ no rot you can get a nice SEI drive for $1400 and have a really cool Scorpion
boat!