Penta 275 Bellows

maphillips3

Seaman
How difficult is it to replace the bellow over the U joints? By looking at the diagram it is obvious that this requires pulling the drive, but didn't know what special tools are used and if anyone had it done recently at a marine shop and how much it costs. It is on a 86 volvo AQ131A motor Penta 275 outdrive. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Penta 275 Bellows

If it's anything like a Mercruiser can be done but it’s a PITA. May want to re-title your thd and mention your drive type. Sorry I can’t help, ya might try doing a search on the subject. Good Luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to pull the drive, just the upper gear box. Drain the oil first, and be sure to use new orings when the gear box is put back on and be carefull you don't loose the shims.<br />It's actually a lot easier than a Mercruiser.

Don S

Double post...... Hate when that happens

maphillips3

Seaman

THanks for the input, Glad to hear that I dont have to pull the whole drive off. Do you have an guestimate on how much time it takes to complete this process?

maphillips3

Seaman

Which O-Rings will I need to replace? I dont know how to add a picture to the page like you, but could you let me know what numbers the are from the Dougrussell.com site, again, it is the penta 275 unit. Thanks!

Don S

From THIS PAGE, you want items #7 and #34<br /><br />You will also need the drain plug oring and the dip stick oring, both number 955974, plus the gasket for the fill plug gasket #6 from This Page

maphillips3

Seaman

Can the shaft be slipped out from the top of the outdrive and then slid back into place? Or is that being to optimistic?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

the shafts are joined with a splined sleeve. you need to hold it down with a screwdriver or other long object sometimes when pulling the top box, it likes to stick to the top shaft. when your top box is off also replace the water neck, it will likley need it if it hasnt been done in a while. when you are ready to reinstall everything fill the lower first thru the big shaft hole almost to the top its way easier then doing it all with the top box on.

maphillips3

Seaman

Does anyone know how many hours this project would take to complete with parts on hand? Also, is there a special tool required to put the new Bellow on?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

parts on hande and no seized bolts its roughly a 2 hour job. while the top is off inspect all your hoses and lines you cant normally see very carefully. you may need to borrow or make the tools to remove the helmet pin if yours doesnt have jack threads.