Identifying Envinrude Engine

ryaneb85

Cadet
Hi guys,

This is my first post so hello to you all. I have recently purchased my first boat (used) that is fitted with an Evinrude 35. I am a total beginner when it comes to outboards so please bare with me! I know the outboard needs a bit of tinkering with so I'm sure there will be many questions to follow, but before I start pestering I am trying to purchase a service manual. However, in order to do this I am trying to find out the age/model of the engine. I have search all the relevant posts on how to identify what it is from the nameplate, but the problem I'm facing is that I cannot find any kind of nameplate, model number, serial number etc. on the outboard. How can I go about identifying the year/model without this? Are there any distinguishing features that may I may be able to identify it by? I am currently away with work for the next day or two so I cannot get any pictures at the moment, but if I uploaded some, would any of you veterans be able to give an answer by eye?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Identifying Envinrude Engine

The most common place for the numbers to be would be on a small plate on the port (Left) transom bracket (bkt holds eng to boat) and also on a core plug (Looks like a small freeze out plug) located on the powerhead.

Unless the hood of the engine has been repainted, posting pictures of that (side/front/rear) would allow someone here to pinpoint the year as the paint scheme is changed every year.

ryaneb85

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply!

As soon as I get home I'll check the places you suggested but I have a feeling I've aready look there based on other posts I've read. Failing that, I'll get some pictures up and hopefully somebody can help me out that way.

ryaneb85

Cadet

Hi all,

Finally got home from work and still couldnt find a name plate, managed to get some pictures though so hopefully somebody might be able to help out. That's if I can get the pictures up!

IMG_0317[1].JPGIMG_0318[1].JPGIMG_0319[1].JPGIMG_0320[1].JPGIMG_0321[1].JPG

hidef

Lieutenant

i believe you have a 1980 Evinrude E35TCSM 35hp.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In agreement with Hidef. Your engine's hood which appears to be in mint condition is a 1980 model. No other engine uses that paint, decal, or emblem design.

ryaneb85

Cadet

Cheers guys, thats helped out so much! Now to find myself a decent manual!

ryaneb85

Cadet

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have jsut found the nameplate on my outboard. It shows B25831, which I'm guessing is the serial number, and BE25BACOS. Am I right in thinking that this is actually a 1985 25HP model? As you can see from my earlier pictures is clearly shows an Evinrude 35 cover, I'm guessing its been changed at some point and fobbed off to the rookies (like me) as a 35.

hidef

Lieutenant

E25RCOS should be the correct model number. Cowlings are interchangeable and you are not the first person to get a mismatched cowling on their outboard. The Original might have been damaged and the previous owner might have been unaware of this.