Slightly offshore GA fishing

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I finally got a boat that can go a little ways off shore. It's around 20.5' deep V so its distance is still limited. Between 2 & 10 miles off shore where I live (near Savannah), there are artificial reefs. I was thinking about going out to them but have never fished offshore before. Is there any advice or precautions I should take in trying it out? I currently have my poles set up with 40lb test with a double hook to sit on the bottom w/ 3 oz. weights. What would you recommend? Also, what can I expect to catch around this time of year? Thanks for the help!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Slightly offshore GA fishing

The off-shore reefs are fun, but get a GPS and study up on them before you go regarding the depths, types of fish/tackle, anchors/rope required to anchor. A radio and telephone can be very helpful to talk to the other fishermen in the area. Good Luck!

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I got a nice fishfinder/gps that give me everything to get there. I'll have to check the anchors requirements. I have an older VHF radio so I can communicate with local people. Is there a particular channel people use for fishing? Also, any advice on the types of fish/fishing techniques?

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

ill see if i can help out a bit, i started the reef thing here in jersey for the first time last year. I found the gps positions on line but i have yet to go to any of them and find something. What i do is go to the posted position, then drive in an increasing in diameter circle untill i mark it, then save the position. then i would invest in a wreck anchor. (google it) i made one for less than ten bucks. I prefer to anchor over the reefs instead of drifting unless you have an unlimited sinker supply. Your tackle seems a bit heavy though, i fish any were from 30, to over 300 feet deep and only use 30. Your hook rig, (hi-low) is ok, but a single hook has less of a chance of snagging up.

And of course chumming always helps to. And Every thing in the ocean eats squid, and it cheap. My boat is only 20' and ive been 30+ miles out. Choose your days wisley, and if you anchor, make sure the wind will not push you (stern to the seas). good luck and tight lines. PM me if you have any more ?'s

robert graham

Admiral

Some of the off-shore structures/artificial reefs have moored flag markers that are very helpful, but the GPS seems like a necessity just to get out there, since some are several miles off-shore. Some of the ones we've fished on are 50' to 100' deep and anchoring can be a real challenge(and a lot of work for the anchor-boy;)). We just drop our lines straight down to within a few feet above the structure, with strong lines(20lb.+test) and rigs since there are larger fish like Grouper and Snapper that can tear up the old Zebco 202's:D Squid, Shrimp and Pinfish(my favorite) all are good baits. Watch the weather, give plenty of time to return, stay in touch with folks. It's a lot different 15 miles off-shore and things can turn pretty mean in a hurry! Good Luck!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Perna, what's your range? I have 40 gallons of fuel with consumption of 2 mi/gal, or 80 miles of range. Try to stick to the 1/4 range rule when choosing your fishing ground (1/4 out, 1/4 locating, 1/4 in, 1/4 emergency). Also, get familiar with filing float plans as you will not have as much help to flag when you're deep and need assistance. Make sure your dry-bag is properly stocked and emergency gear is current....then worry about your tackle:rolleyes:

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

A buddy boat would be a good idea - that is what I plan on doing.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

I appreciate all the advice for the trip. The last reef I see on the maps in less than 20 miles offshore which I don't think I'll even go out to in my boat (just in case). My boat has a 5.0 OMC inboard and holds 32 gallons of fuel which limits me as well. I'll check out that wreck anchor since I was curious about how to anchor. I'll change up my tackle as well as making sure I have more than just the bare minimum for emergecy items in the boat. I really don't have anyone else that has a boat or would be willing to go out with me so I'll probably have to just stick to the radio for communication. Hopefully my next thread will include pictures of what I caught!

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check your local regulations, you mentioned a double hook rig,in some locations like here in florida you can not fish for some fish with a double hook rig wile using live or dead bait. also we have regulations here in florida that states you must use non-stainless circle hooks while fishing for reef fish. so be careful! if you go to a local bait shop and tell them you are going to be fishing some reefs with in 10 miles and ask what a good local bait would be, they will hook you up. use as little weight as you can get away with and still hold bottom, you will catch fish. also try some 1 1/2 oz white bucktail jigs tipped with a little bait and bounce it on bottom around the reef, it works like a charm!

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I'll try out the jig. All I have to do is get the boat working up to par and I'll be set.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you stick to popular days like Satruday and Sunday or a holiday, odds are that you won't be alone out there. Years ago I started with GPS coordinates I found on line but like others have stated, they aren't always the most accurate. I would run out to the spot I had numbers for and find boats a couple hundred yards off the mark. So I slowly made my way to the group and marked those locations. Do check your local laws concerning tackle, i.e., hook style and material, etc. Nothing worse than a memorable day on the water followed by hundreds of dollars in fines and loss of your catch. Learn the laws and have a great time. Reef fishing has all kinds of bag limits, size limits and combined bag limits, depending on where you are in the world. Do a search for your local wildlife and fisheries web page. They almost always have state and federal laws (they are different) governing specific species. Good luck and tight lines!