rocker arm adjusment for 4.3

utexasrick

Seaman Apprentice
So I have a rebuilt 4.3 engine with balanced shaft. In the process of checking the rocker arms. The manual says to torque down the rocker arms to 20 ft lbs (valve lash is automatically set), but I've also read on here to use the 3/4 turn method. I tried the 3/4 quarter turn method and I am highly doubtful that the rocker arm bolt will stay put when the engine is running. I could prob get a max of 5 ft-lbs on one. Which is the correct method? 20 ft-lbs seems like a good amount though as it might compress the rocker bearing.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: rocker arm adjusment for 4.3

Set it running, back the nut off till it rattles, turn it down quiet, then slowly 3/4 turn further. Which manual is telling you 20 lb? Never heard of that before.

86 century

Ensign

I have never heard of a 4.3 with torque down rockers.

If you can post a pic of your rocker nuts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to be careful of what you read, and make sure you are comparing apples to apples. All of the 4.3 engines with a balance shaft use the 20 ft.lb. torque, only the earlier models WITHOUT the balance shaft had adjustable valves.

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

If your has a balance shaft just tighten them to 20 ft-lbs. All the vortec era heads use shoulder bolts that adjust themselves once tightened.

utexasrick

Seaman Apprentice

Good to know, thanks, I knew there was no way those bolts would stay put