New to me trailer

snapshotmd

Seaman
I just got this galvanized trailer for $100. I just replaced the lights on it and works great. Other than surface rust on the supports, it looks pretty good.

No paperwork though. I'm going to try to apply for title as a homemade trailer.

401152587.jpg

401152580.jpg

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: New to me trailer

Is it just an optical illusion or is it bent?

snapshotmd

Seaman

I pretty sure it's a tilt trailer. It is bent, but it looks like it is supposed to be there.

superbenk

Commander

I pretty sure it's a tilt trailer. It is bent, but it looks like it is supposed to be there.

I don't think so. Look at the last picture along the side-frames. There is definitely a bow in the frame just fore of the wheels. Might have been a reason it was only $100.

snapshotmd

Seaman

I don't think so. Look at the last picture along the side-frames. There is definitely a bow in the frame just fore of the wheels. Might have been a reason it was only $100.

I don't see it. Maybe the road behind it is giving an illusion? If the bend isn't supposed to be there, then the accident which caused it was very symmetrical. It is bent at the exact same spot on either side.

OTOH, I can't think of any advantage gained from having a bend like that on a tilt trailer.

If you all are right, I suppose I could get $100 scrap metal from it?

Cheetah - I intend to put a 14' aluminum jon boat on it.

superbenk

Commander

I don't see it. Maybe the road behind it is giving an illusion? If the bend isn't supposed to be there, then the accident which caused it was very symmetrical. It is bent at the exact same spot on either side.

OTOH, I can't think of any advantage gained from having a bend like that on a tilt trailer.

If you all are right, I suppose I could get $100 scrap metal from it?

Cheetah - I intend to put a 14' aluminum jon boat on it.

Certainly could be me. Hard to be sure from the pics. Just looks like it bows up in the middle just before the wheels. In other words the tongue & tail of the trailer are a tiny bit lower than the middle. Again, maybe it's just an illusion.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not suggesting it is scrap, check the frame rails around the front spring hangers for splits or creases. I doubt a 14'er will hurt it unless you have a huge motor hanging way over the back.

snapshotmd

Seaman

Certainly could be me. Hard to be sure from the pics. Just looks like it bows up in the middle just before the wheels. In other words the tongue & tail of the trailer are a tiny bit lower than the middle. Again, maybe it's just an illusion.

In that case, I agree that it looks bent. I thought you were refering to the "last picture" which is the picture of the back of the trailer; which I don't see anything wrong.

snapshotmd

Seaman

check the frame rails around the front spring hangers for splits or creases.

What do you mean by front spring hangers? Do you mean where the leaf spring screw is? There IS a "crease" where it bends. It's bent the same exact way on the other side.

401155030.jpg

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spring hanger is where the eye of the spring is fixed to the frame. I can't see where the crease is in relation to the axle but usually its close. But there's the cause of bowing.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pull the clip holding the wire out of the way, wedge a good fitting block of timber into the rail and hit it with a big hammer so its straight again and repeat other side, clip wires back and its good to go.