A narrow miss

Socal Pat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had a nice day fishing at my local spot. Parked the boat at the dock, walked up to get the truck and backed it up down the ramp. Set the parking brake and walked down to the boat, untied and started to drive it to the submerged trailer. OMG! The reverse lights were on! I could just see myself as one of those FAIL videos on Utube. Re-docked and ran as fast as my 60 year-old legs would carry me and put her in park. WHEW! Thank goodness for working parking brakes.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: A narrow miss

lol......

i hate it when that happens !

southkogs

Staff member

Need a bigger motor on the boat ... nudge her on the trailer and push back! LOL.

Glad you didn't go truck swimmin'.

The Rooster

Ensign

Need a bigger motor on the boat ... nudge her on the trailer and push back! LOL.

Glad you didn't go truck swimmin'.

+1 "Southkogs". I'm sure it wasn't your fault, Pat. I'm guessing that was a Chevy - right. Fords don't do that !!!:D

Socal Pat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hah! F150 !! Fords don't go swimming on their own, but complacent old guys will make 'em swim.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Since it was starting to get dark, I just thought you were using the back-up lights to help you see the trailer better! ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

Had a nice day fishing at my local spot. Parked the boat at the dock, walked up to get the truck and backed it up down the ramp. Set the parking brake and walked down to the boat, untied and started to drive it to the submerged trailer. OMG! The reverse lights were on! I could just see myself as one of those FAIL videos on Utube. Re-docked and ran as fast as my 60 year-old legs would carry me and put her in park. WHEW! Thank goodness for working parking brakes.

I've done that too. Managed to notice it before anything bad happened.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the importance of working reverse lights--they work as idiot lights when you can't see the dashboard!

It's easy to miss a gear if you have been in one of the L range gears instead of the first notch. I got in my car once to back it out of a service bay; the mechanic had left it in neutral instead of park (brake work). So I hopped in, pulled the lever back one click looked over my shoulder and touched the gas. Luckily a mechanic nearby hollered at me, and I was gonig real easy. I guess he didn't see the reverse lights!

sasto

Captain

If we can't laugh at ourselves......Who can we laugh at?

All is well, Pat, I brushed my teeth this morning with Preparation H! :facepalm:

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some one I know once told me he leaves his truck in gear with parking brake on. Doesn't want the park lug to jam from strain of holding the truck and trailer on the ramp slope.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can't do that with my truck because its a manual.

chriscraft254

Commander

Not a bad idea to have a rubber wheel chock as well! Glad everything turn out ok and you didn't end up on youtube,lol

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

well I actualy do park mine in reverse on the ramp but its a manual and it holds better in reverse.