Dog Vet Bills!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering how much you guys spend on average per dog each year at the vet ? :(:mad::facepalm:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Dog Vet Bills!

Normally, it is $500-$1,000. . .

Then once in a while, like last year, it can be $5000 if some major stuff happens

Cats are cheaper . . .

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Try 12k if stuff happens - 5, years ago!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Bubba, $50.00 a year - are you taking him to a vet ( veterinarian ) or a voodoo dr.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

500-1k per dog I suppose, I cut some corners like have the vet techs do shots except for rabies which requires an exam, and I use ivomec for heartworm

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

About $600 per dog each year not counting the Frontline and we have two labs.

Just dropped $800. Last Sunday I took my dog to an emergecy vet at 5am ( my vet does not do after hours or weekends calls).That was $400. Came home, then my sons cat was at the slider with a bloody eye. Took the cat to the vet. My son was balling his eyes out because the cat would loose it's eye. The vet showed me the bill $400. Then I started to cry. I couldn't tell my son that I can spend money on the dog but not his cat. Found out after the eye was removed that someone hit it with a bat or something. The cat had bone chips under it's eye socket.

chriscraft254

Commander

Forget the vet bills, how about the dog food. Mine eat better than I do,lol

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What price unconditional love? Or is it really priceless?

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I do have doggie insurance for anything big that comes up, no claims yet so I don't know if it's worth it, but it's pretty cheap.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

A couple hundred to a few hundred, or more, depending on circumstances.
Senior dogs need more meds, like senior folks.

;)

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on the pet insurance. I dont have it but I probably should I have five dogs. One of which spent 10 days in ICU a few years back. He is 7 now and we still dont know exactly what was wrong with him. I do know it was $1000 a day to have him there.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

never no more than a hundred!
cost more than that put them to sleep

southkogs

Staff member

Every now and again they (got two) cost us a few hundred bucks. But most years it's not too much more than the Advantix for ticks - $100/yr. We don't do too many regular vet visits. Most things we can handle here at home.

puddle jumper

Captain

It cost us about $300 a year with a toy dog and she rarely has any problems. Pets are like kids not cheep.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine has had diabetes for 3 years I am afraid to do the math. A friends black lab has heartworms and the vet said 1150 bucks and she cant afford it. A pity but theres no way I can even help with that bill.It requires a real vet to treat this I understand.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

That is no joke.

My wife cooked us lamb chops the other night.
The same damn chops the dog has so am I eating dog food or is my Rosie having it away?

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Funny that someone brings up vet bills. My wife wanted to go to the animal shelter last weekend. I knew it was NOT going to end well, but I went along with it. We go look around, and she sees this little chiuaua, and asks if she can get it out and walk it etc... Well, next thing I know I have adopted this 10 year old dog that looks like it just waiting on death. I took it to our vet the other day. That little trip ended up costing me $100. I forsee many more trips to the vet with this dog, but at least it won't have to live out the rest of it's life in the pound.

Our boxer, Max, has been to the vet several times since we got him last summer. He came from a breeder and had several issuses that have since been cleared up. He is not even a year old and I have spent close to $400 on his vet trips. I have spent more money this past year on my dogs going to the vet than on myself going to the doctor. Oh well.

Last edited:

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

+1 on the pet insurance. I dont have it but I probably should I have five dogs. One of which spent 10 days in ICU a few years back. He is 7 now and we still dont know exactly what was wrong with him. I do know it was $1000 a day to have him there.

I have a dog with allergies, had I bought the insurance right away I would have saved thousands, but I didn't. Of course now nothing goes wrong. But it's like $30 a month not out of line for 3 dogs. It also doesn't cover hip, some back, ACL's, or knee problems.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

never no more than a hundred!
cost more than that put them to sleep

Glad I'm not your dog...:rolleyes:

vet bills for my three were about $1500 last year. Grooming, food, treats and toys probably another $1500-1800. It does not suck to be one of my dogs...:)