9.9 evinrude discolored head

montecarlols

Cadet
Well I got the 9.9 running yesterday and took it out on the water today. Had to turn quickly, close to the bank and must have sucked up debris through the water pump. It overheated and changed the head color to black. it didnt lock up though. Question 1, is it salvageable?? Q 2 how do i go about flushing the debris out?? im sure i have to replace the head gasket and probably true the head. just wondering if anyone has gone thru this, thanks in advance

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.9 evinrude discolored head

I wouldn't give up on the motor, especially since it did not seize. It would be advisable to replace the impeller and also check the impeller housing. If you are running in silty or salty water you should consider a h.d. chrome water pump. The h.d. impeller housing will not groove & wear out like a plastic one if silt or salt are present in the cooling water. You didn't say what year of motor you have, but assuming it is a 2-stroke, by your description it sounds like you should remove the exhaust bypass cover to see if the pistons or rings have any obvious damage. Even if they don't have obvious deep damage, it still may be best to remove the powerhead, remove the head & resurface the head & block mating surfaces. Before that it would be advisable to flush out your cooling system to make sure there isn't a blockage. If an impeller breaks up it can easily send rubber chunks into the cooling system & lodge in a water jacket somewhere, causing overheating & damage to the block. As for the flushing procedure it really depends on the year of your motor. Good luck!

montecarlols

Cadet

i think its an 83' 9.9 2 stoke (no id on welch plug or transom mount). Just using it in fresh water canals in south florida, i fixed it, took the power head off this morning and filed the head and the block straight, the water pump feed tube was slightly bent and i fixed it. It started right up first pull, runs great!! Thought it was going to be worse..... actually runs better lol

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like you dodged a bullet. Whew!