115 no water from heads????

recess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Evinrude 1985 115 MLCOS
Motor came with the boat. Lower unit trashed. Picked up another unit, rebuilt water pump. Test run at idle for about 20 mins. In the water. Good pee stream, no alarm. Run her up to WOT. Lasted about 2 mins. Smoke from the hood and reduced rpm?s. Shut off before I could turn it off. Figured I fried it. Removed motor an installed another. Since the old one was just lying around, I decided to check it out. After looking it over, found I fried the main power wire to the coils. Carbs were trashed with debris from the gas tank. Figured she leaned out and froze up. So I decided to pull the heads and inspect. No scoring, engine not seized. Decided to check and see if it would run. Repaired wiring and coil, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, installed head gasket. Tried firing it up without lower unit. Engine ran fine. Didn?t want to invest $$$$ if motor didn?t run. Now to the cooling. Found the temp sensors were corroded in place. No wonder the alarm didn?t go off, even though I tested the alarm circuit by disconnecting the wire and grounding to ensure alarm was functioning. Pulled t?stats and poppets. Man, what a pain in the a**. Those 3 bolts will drive you to drink. Replaced all cooling components. Reinstalled lower unit with new impellor. Ran motor, but only lasted 2-3 mins. Temp alarm. Pulled lower unit again, Tried hooking up water directly to the water tube in exhaust housing. Still alarm. Removed t?stat housing and hoses. Ran it again. Still no water from the heads. Okay, now what? Is there a way of backflushing through the head to clear any blockage? As I said, I am getting no water from the heads at all. I checked the diverters when the heads were off and they ?appeared? to be fine. So those are there. But I am getting nothing from the heads even with full water pressure from the house pushing up the water tube in the exhaust housing. Sounds like I have to pull the exhaust cover!!! Ugh Any suggestions would be appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 no water from heads????

Could you have a piece of a broken water pump impeller blocking a passage underneath the p/h ?? The "appeared" also makes me a little wondering. To bad you don't have a pic.