Supersport transom modification for short shaft outboard

Hey there, this is my first post, great site and some amazing restos on here.

I'm restoring a 16 supersport and I got a great running FREE 55 hp chrysler motor from a friend. Problem is that the motor is a short shaft and sits about 3-4" too high on the boat. I'm just about to replace the transom and I was wondering if notching the transom by 3" would be an option of if this would be too low in the water.

Also will a 55 hp motor move this size boat along fairly well? Its going to be a fishing boat so I don't need to scream around the lake.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm having issues posting photos from iphoto :mad:, sorry.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Supersport transom modification for short shaft outboard

Howdy and welcome to iboats AZ!

What you have in mind would prolly work fine, and a free OB is great, but if I were in your shoes I'd go ahead and sell that 55 and throw that $ towards a properly sized (longshaft) 70 HP:)

Thanks, I'm going back and forth on that. I don't think I'd get much for this motor and a nice 70 is a lot of $$$ from what I've seen out there.

That said, I'm a little worried that I'll chop the transom to fit this motor and then end up wanting (or having to) to change it down the road and I'll have to redo the transom again.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, or the guy who may want to buy your boat some day down the road. Sticking with a long shaft is prolly the way to go in your situation. All the best!

jbcurt00

Staff member

This may be too much for your 16'. Offer less, maybe get some parts & pcs, a better trailer, maybe not.....

You can PM Jas for details on how best to solve the question: What to do with the glasspar hull

Good luck w/ the project, hopefully the iBoats server stuff will be sorted out. Kind of hard to reference previous posts & pix, when there aren't any photos....

Jas won't steer you wrong, take a look at both project threads in his signature. Tons of good stuff there!
And the Starcraft forum thread as well. The tin crowd are definitely a helpful bunch.