metal plate inside toons ?

playbuoy24

Cadet
I've probabley got a real newbie question here but here it goes.Yesterday i was checking out the new pontoon 1993 playbuoy supreme and was wondering if the toon were foam filled so i pulled the top plug and poaked a rod in they were'nt filled but there was some sort of metal plate running long ways with the toon it seemed to be on some sort of spring or float.Just curious what this could be so any answers are much appreciated. Ill get pictures of the pontoon up soon as i get posting them figured out.:confused:

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: metal plate inside toons ?

HUH, generally tubes are hollow with bulkheads but nothing on the bottom, very curious.

I know how I build my tubes but never paid much attention to what others did, on our elliptical tubes we use a stringer,V shaped extrusion almost like a chine welded in, on the bottom of the tube to add some strength but nothing in the round tubes, curious to see pics and find out what that is.

playbuoy24

Cadet

I was hopeing someone may know i'm going to see if there is anyway i can get a picture in there but i doubt it the thing in there moves but does'nt seem like it's out of place or not supposed to be there.Just one of those mysteries that's going to bug me till i figure it out hopefully.

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are baffles inside the toons. maybe you have water in them

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If your toons are U shaped, they're probably foam filled. You can see that there are not any welded joints from the nose section to the rear end. These toons won't have any baffles every 5' or so like the round toons will have.

The U shaped toons are cheaper to build than round toons. They're probably not as structurally sound as the round toons. And if you have a toon that has to be repaired, the welder has to be really good to keep from melting the insulation.

All of that said, I have U shaped toons on my old 24' Starcraft. It's always seemed more buoyant than other pontoons, and runs out great. I've had no problems.