125 carb question

mikes 86

Seaman Apprentice
hello i have 1986 125/4cyl,force. i have delevoped a leakie seat in one of my carbs i have tryed new needle with no success. bad news is i have pressed in seats is there any way to replace them, and if so how do you do it, 2nd question will carbs from 85 horse work on my 125/4 if not what carbs will and off what size motor, any help appreciated

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 carb question

E-bay!! Almost any carb from any 125 will work.I've found they work best when replaced as a set.Again e-bay I saw a set there last week.
No the 85's won't work.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The seats on your carbs can be replaced. rebuild kits are sold. If not here on iboats, look up outboard parts sites. You simply thread in an appropriatly sized lag screw and pull out the old pressed in seats.

Yeah, I know! I make it sound simple. They are in relatively tight so they won't just pop out, but you won't need to fight them either.

Carbs from any Force 125, MOST Force 120s, any Chrysler 140 or 125 and a couple of others will fit. However, if you get Newer carbs off Force engines with an enrichment valve instead of a choke, you will need to swap the bowls with your old ones and plug the barbed fittings on the mounting flanges.Mainly, you need to be certain that the carbs you get are the large diameter venturi "TC" carbs--1 5/8 inch diameter venturi.

Unless your current carbs are completely trashed or you can get a set really cheaply, you would be better to replace the seats.

While 85 carbs will not swap on directly, IF you found manifolds from a Chrysler 105 and swapped them on your 125, you COULD use the smaller 85 carbs. Chrysler did at one time make a 120 using these WB 1 5/16 venturi carbs. However, you would be strangling the 125 and top speed will drop some. I usually go the other way and put bigger carbs on the 105.

jimbo125

Recruit

I have a set of carbs for a force 125 that I would be willing to part with. Make me an offer.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Jimbo: That is against the forum rules. Contact him in a private message.

mikes 86

Seaman Apprentice

Gentlemen thank you for your quick responces,I have checked e-bay and there are at least two possibilites there, that may be the course i may have to take, that said i would like to give Franks idea a shot first, so my question at this point would be to Frank sense he seems to have done this before,I have removed the pressed in seat with little to no trouble as Frank had said, my question would be if i thread the new seat into place is the thickness of the top of the seat going to allow enought room for the needle to work properly or am i going to have to file the top to the right hight and also the seat as well??? I had noticed that when i replaced the needle it was taller than the factory needle witch didnot allow the flot to work properly needles to say i didnot use them. Next question do you know what part # for needle&seat from i-boats parts i should order my carbs donot have the spring on the needle. THANKS FOR THE HELP !!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you have pressed in seats, you can not use the screw in type. You must use the press in seats. So, be certain that you are being given the correct parts.

If there is only a small difference in needle height, then you can compensate by bending the center tang of the float. In fact, I had a couple of floats that showed wear on the center tangs where the needle seated against them. I slipped on a couple of electrical connectors which made the tangs a good bit thicker. So, I bent them to reset the float height and that engine has worked fine for --oh--15 years.

Quite honestly, I have so many carbs that I have yet to order a repair kit or seats. Thus, I don't know if they are available here on iboats or what the numbers are.

mikes 86

Seaman Apprentice

Frank, i guess i misunderstod your previous post on replaceing the seats, i have looked for press in seats and can not find them any where if you may know of a sight i would be highly thankful, or it is back to e-bay, it would be great to find a set because my carbs are in great shape otherwise.