1983 115hp Evinrude with no water discharge.

mutineer

Cadet
This is the first time that I have used a forum for advice. Have read through a lot of posts and have come to the conclusion that the best way to get an idea is to just ask. I bought a 17' mutiny last year and it had a few engine issues. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced a coil, and then had to replace the power pack. The rest of the summer she ran great. I put her up in the garage this winter and am now getting her ready for some early spring fishing. I drained the lower end and refilled it and rewired some of the electrical. I put on the water muffs and fired her up. Took a lot of coaxing but she started up. At first I had water coming out of the discharge then had some air and then a good stream. Unfortunately the engine died. After some time got it started again and she was running good but when i looked for the stream it was not there. I shut it off and checked to see if the line was clogged. It was clear. I started it back up and still no water coming out. I shut it back off and am now contemplating tearing into the lower end and replace the pump. I am new to outboards and I have a seloc maintenance manual. but would like to know what I am getting myself into. Is there anything else that I may be missing.

James R

Commander
Re: 1983 115hp Evinrude with no water discharge.

One of the first things everyone should do is replace the pump impeller and tube seals. It would have been so much easier to get at the shift coupling with the carbs off but it can still be done with them in place, just a pain in the butt. Be sure to remove the bolt hidden under the trim tab. If you have lost an impeller blade then it may be up in the block or it could be in the well under the water pump base plate. You will have to find it or you could end with an overheat and a blown motor. Remember when you fit the new impeller put it on the shaft, getting the key orientation correct, and press the housing down over it whilst rotating the shaft clockwise. Absolutely essential. A little vasilene or similar on the inside of the housing will help to ease it together.
Did you replace the plug washer seals when you changed the lower unit Oil. If not, you may get water in the lower and that's a big no no. With the lower on the bench on its side you can replace the seals without loosing your oil.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The telltale is a good way to determine if the impeller is working. Since you have no telltale and you are confident that it is not plugged, then likely the impeller is not functioning. Time to replace it. When you get into replacing the impeller, the factory parts diagram may be helpful-showing how everything goes together. You can see exploded factory parts diagrams on the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com. Check to make sure the housing is not heat deformed. Also, check to make sure the black rubber of the impeller has not bonded to the stainless steel cup in the water pump housing. If it is, you will need a whole water pump kit, not just the impeller.

mutineer

Cadet

Thank you for the responses. I am currently pulling apart the lower end. i disconnected the shift linkage and tried to pull off the lower end but is still catching up on something. I tried putting it in reverse and is still catching on something. Tried going the other way and still catching. Any ideas?

mutineer

Cadet

ok, well I feel like a dope. I was looking at the pictures in my seloc manual instead of looking at the motor. The link that I disconnected originally was to the remote. Which is what the pic showed. But there is a screw that holds the linkage arm to the lower end. Pulled that out and it allowed the lower end to drop. I was able to at least look at the impeller, while all in tact I can see that it really needs replaced. The rubber is cracked and beginning to fall apart. I was not expecting to have to pull the entire shift rod out so Have to reconnect the lower end and tilt the motor up to allow room to pull it off. I am holding off on this until tomorrow. Most importantly to make sure that i am not making a mistake in removing the lower end this way. If i am please let me know. I enjoy working on engines but have never messed with an outboard. Always been older cars and some diesel engines in light construction equipment.

James R

Commander

You seem to have found the way to take it apart. The pump has to provide water cooling to the block and to the exhaust box. The tell tales do get blocked. You can clear it by using a plastic straw from a spray can. Poke it up the hole with the pump pumping and it should clear.
Bring the motor up on the tilt to make life easier in pulling and refitting the lower. In refitting you will need to rotate either the drive shaft or the flywheel to engage the splines.
The impeller in that condition has lost its stiffness and the blades will not stay sealed against the housing wall. Insufficient water.