2000 135 Opti, any thoughts?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
looking to repower and found what may be a deal on a 135 opti. Year 2000 with under 300 hours. Any thoughts on if this year model had any problems I should look for?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 2000 135 Opti, any thoughts?

what motor are you replacing and why? you need to take a look in repair forums like this one and see what all can go wrong with them. then take a look at the parts list and price of parts, I can tell you now the optis have some pricey parts that DO go bad and need replacing..you are getting a 12 year old motor that is probably just coming into an age where a lot of these parts are breaking down...but just to be fair here I will reveal that I hate EFI outboard motors, the reason we have them is not because they are better than carbs but rather the EPA has forced all motors to go EFI..absolutely insane and just cost us average Joes money we really cant afford to spend..turned fishing into a wealthy mans sport. If it were my boat , I would go find me a late 80s or 90s model carbbed motor..the late 80s and 90s 150 XR motors were bullet proof and would be preferable to any of the newer EFI style motors in my humble opinion. If money is no object just go buy a brand new motor with extended warranty and take good care of it and do all maintenance.